K-9 Mail vs. Stock HTC/Android on ThunderboltGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Well-Known Member

Anyone using K-9 Mail on their Android? Is it really that much better than stock HTC/Android client for POP e-mail?

Advertisement
  2. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

They shouldn't even be used in the same sentence.
  3. Outlaw.99

Outlaw.99 Well-Known Member

Please elaborate... I havent tried the K9, but have no issues with the stock, so share if you have info plz...
  4. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Well-Known Member

I haven't used K-9 since I had my OG Droid, but I remember it did have nice features that the stock mail or Gmail app didn't have. I'm comfortable with Gmail right now, but I may give it a go just to check it out for customization sake. That and the fact that you can mass delete! C'mon Gmail!

----

Update: I gave it another go and man, they've come a long way. Some stuff I'd forgotten, some stuff has been added. G'bye, stock Gmail app, hello K-9 and unified mail. I will miss my Gmail Notifier icons, but I think I can live without them. ;)
  5. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

If stock works, that's fine. K9 has so many additional features that power emailers miss terribly with just a few exceptions. It embarrasses the iPhone email to be the rookie it is.
    - Signatures for every account
    - East setting up and handling multiple email accounts & types
    - Select all easily in most places
    - Ability to set how much data to download for emails by default per account
    - Numerous settings to customize viewing email how you prefer
    - Ability to check different email accounts at different frequencies (save battery)

I could go on but it's really not comparable. If you just need one account and the stock works, that's fine.
  6. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member

7. Tryn2getaclu

Tryn2getaclu Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread:
  8. niteryder

niteryder Well-Known Member

For me, if the stock mail app was the only choice, I would have trouble using Android for my day to day work. K-9 has some nice features, but the one thing that I use most is the push email functionality. Most of the emails I get are very time sensitive and I need notifications the instant I get them.

K-9 has yet to let me down in the push email realm. My only gripe is the ability to copy/paste in the app.
  9. jaybeewaybee

jaybeewaybee Well-Known Member

This says it all. A little more setup than stock, but worth it for multiple e-mail accounts.
  10. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

K9 still doesn't support push for hotmail so I still wont use it. It also didn't handle my work email well either
  11. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

Accounts other than work I only check hourly or longer if they are truly non-essential. The value of push only comes into play with critical emails and for my pop I check every 5 or 10 minutes.
  12. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

Wait until you need to empty your email trash folder. :p
  13. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Well-Known Member

To empty the trash folder in the stock app with 1-click, just tap the big "Empty Folder" button on top center.
  14. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I've been using K9 since I first got my Incredible . I tried to go back to the stock email app when I got my Thunderbolt and just couldn't do it .

It's definetly worth a go , it's free so if you dont' like it it's no loss
  15. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

Or press and hold clicking a mailbox. It will give you a menu, empty trash and done. Some very small minor issues, nothing that cannot be worked around. Easily best mail app on any smartphone, period.
  16. WizeGuyDezignz

WizeGuyDezignz Well-Known Member

I also have Hotmail. What do you use for it?
  17. bamaredwingsfan

What else is he gonna get through hotmail other than spam an viruses:D
  18. Thorsten

Thorsten Well-Known Member

Perhaps those methods are HTC customizations. They are not available in the stock Android email client (as of version 2.2.1.) Feel free to Google "empty trash folder android email" to see for yourself.
  19. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

It's available in K9, not the stock email client. I never use that any more and never would after using k9.
  20. bamaredwingsfan

So i used this hack to setup my gmail, hotmail an windjammercable mail in activesync so i could get push notifications for all my mail in one central app. Here is the problem, when i set the update schedule to push in offpeek time it causes my phone to continously do a data sync every 3 seconds non stop! Is there any setting that will get this working correctly?
    Windjammercable mail uses google servers for their mail distribution.
    If i set peak to push, an off peek to manuel, then changed peak to start at 8am an off peek to start at say 7am would that fix my problems? Or does peak an off peak require 12hrs gap between the two?
  21. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Well-Known Member

Can any of these delete email from phone but not inbox?

I really really miss that from my blackberry.
  22. Tryn2getaclu

Tryn2getaclu Well-Known Member

YS - I have K-9 and does that easily.
    I also run Hotmail thru K-9 and it polls every minute. Not push but close enough. I have others set at various poll intervals and each with a different notification tone as well.

I leave G-mail in its own app but run Hotmail, Yahoo and 2 email accounts form my url all thru K-9 as above.
  23. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

Don't understand this. I hated that the BB didn't have a trash folder. Would get nailed any time a quick message was placed into my inbox while deleting a message.
  24. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Well-Known Member

Well not perfect when that happens but it was great having the option to Delete from Phone or Phone and Server.

I was wondering if K9 has that because stock email does not. Also how does K9 inbox work? Will it automatically remove email from phone over time or do you have to make room for email before more will be delivered?