1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

K9 Mail - IMAP Idle not pushing new messages

Last Updated:

1. Apel

Apel Member This Topic's Starter

New owner of and HTC Desire as of 8/26 and I'm running into problems with K9 Mail and the IMAP Idle function.

Android 2.1
    K9 Mail 3.0
    IMAP Idle enabled on the email server

K9 Account Settings:
    Folder poll check freq.: Never
    Sync messages from: any time
    Folders to check w/ poll: 1st class
    Folders to check w/ push: 1st class

K9 Inbox Folder Settings:
    Folder display class: 1st class
    Folder synch class: 1st class
    Folder push class: 1st class

I can force a poll of new messages and it works fine, but I'm not receiving the new messages instantly as expected with IMAP Idle.

Can anyone see anything wrong w/ the configuration settings above that may be causing the issue? I would hate to have to set up a poll frequency and chew up battery and network usage if it isn't necessary.

Thanks all...great forums!

Apel

Advertisement
  2. M.Erickson

M.Erickson New Member

Did you ever figure out how to get the K9 idle push feature to work predictably? I have an HTC Incredible and am having the same issue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Mark

3. Swithin

Swithin New Member

I'm having a similar issue with K9 Mail.

Here's what happens: I've got the same settings as user Apel above. The "Refresh IDLE connection" time is set to 3 minutes. I'm using 3G. New emails don't get pushed to my phone instantly, but they do get pushed at the IDLE refresh interval (3 minutes in this case).

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? I could just set the interval to 1 minute, of course, and that would be good enough, but I miss the instant notifications I got on my Symbian phone and I'd like to have that with K9 on Android as well.

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

It's not a problem with K9, it's just how IMAP works. The IMAP_IDLE command, which I do *not* recommend using, is not *true* push email. IMAP actually is not capable of true push email and instant notifications. For more info lookup IMAP in Wikipedia or read this courtesy of the Enhanced Email FAQs:

http://quantumsolutions.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=154

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

5. Swithin

Swithin New Member

Thank you for the explanation! Coming from a Nokia E72, where I did get instant notifications, I was expecting to have the same on my Android phone. I can live with polling every minute though.

6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

Be aware that polling every minute will use some battery.