Kaos launch question

Last Updated:

1. rangerfan94

rangerfan94 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using Kaos V32 with stock ADW launcher. It seems a lot of folks prefer LauncherPro/Plus instead of ADW. My question is for those that use LauncherPro do you remove ADW from the phone or just use home switcher to go back and forth? Is there a performance issue if you leave ADW on the phone but use LauncherPro? Thanks for the help!

RF94

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Unlike Sense, ADW does not run in the background if you're using another launcher, so there shouldn't be a performance hit. However the #2 reason that I rooted was to be able to remove software that I don't want (#1 was to get rid of the dialer lag). Therefore I always removed ADW from KF when I switch to LauncherPro.

3. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

which way did you remove it? i dont use it but still have it.

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I use Titanium Backup to remove programs I don't want. Bring up the program list in TB, select the program and press the 'un-install' button - couldn't be easier. :)

5. selvikin

selvikin Well-Known Member

Another way is to use the zip file that Kaos has in his thread on XDA. It will remove ADW completely leaving you with Launcher2(stock launcher), from there you can install LP

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I leave it on the phone, but the first thing that I do is to remove all of the widgets from ADW before I install LauncherPro. If you start ADW and it has widgets, they may continue to run in the background.

I discovered this when I looked in System Panel to see what was running in the background and saw that the "News and weather" was running in the background. I wasn't using that widget, but it was on one of the ADW screens. I used Home Switcher (an app in the market) to start ADW, removed every widget, then went back to LP.

7. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

thats what i do, but when i went to adw it said it contained some start up files and might mess up phone performance.

8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you want to remove ADW from Kaos Froyo, you need to replace it with the stock Launcher2 app by flashing a file after flashing the ROM. The xda listing for KF has a note about that in the first post.

[ROM]KaosFroyo V34 [09/08] [FROYO] - xda-developers

9. rangerfan94

Well, I have another question. I have LPP installed and I set app shortcuts on my screens. If I go into prefs and make any change to LPP I have to restart it. When it's restarted all my shortcut icons have defaulted to a green android guy icon. Anyone have a clue to whats happening and how to fix it? Appreciate the help!

RF94

10. rangerfan94

Well, it appears this is a bug in the latest version of LauncherPro (v0.7.8.0). It's suppose to be fixed in the next version but the work around is to go to the home screen where you want to add the app shortcut then open the app drawer and long press the app until it "lifts up" from the screen and then drop it onto your home screen. This info is from the LauncherPro homepage.

RF94