KaosFroyo Slow text input.

Last Updated:

1. Night_Watchman

Night_Watchman Member This Topic's Starter

I was using xtrSense briefly right before I switched to KaosFroyo v31 and I must say I was very impressed with the responsiveness of xtrSense. That would be my first choice ROM for anyone wanting an Android 2.1 ROM with Sense.

Since I switched to KaosFroyo I'm loving Android 2.2 (and missing my HTC sense weather widget,) however it's a good deal less responsive than xtrSense. I turned off JIT because I wanted to go the most stable route, and switched back to LauncherPro. Mostly I notice the reduced responsiveness when typing on the soft keyboard and when switching from portrait to landscape.
    What's the best way to improve responsiveness in KaosFroyo without overclocking more than "stock?"

Advertisement
  2. smacky

smacky Banned

Did you clear your Dalvik cache and do a factory wipe after the first ROM and then Kaos? You may need to do that.

You don't have to have JIT enabled, but why wouldn't you? I haven't heard of it causing problems. Maybe on the Eris, though.

3. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

jit blows! :d

4. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I have been using the HTC ime custom keyboard on a number of different 2.2 & 2.1 ROMs.

Mostly I use it because I have fat fingers and want to use a phone keyboard with T9 when in portrait mode - but I will say that I was just finishing setting up Tazz 2.0, and noticed that the (MultiTouch) keyboard in that Froyo ROM seemed really sluggish in comparison.

I have been using the htc_ime_lores22_experimental.zip from the above XDA post with no complaints. (I think the hires version is for displays larger than the Eris; I haven't spent too much tiime trying newer versions - v22 seems pretty flawless). It goes pretty good in landscape mode two-finger typing.

All keyboards can be tweaked for performance - but for sure turn off haptic feedback, and also check some of the word prediction/auto-correct features to see how they are affecting keyboard response.

Also, you need to enable the keyboard in Settings -> Languages & keyboard before it becomes available using "long-press" input select.

eu1

PS - the zip files from that link are not "flashable" - unpack them and make sure to install Clicker.apk first before the keyboard .apk

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I moved this to the "Eris - All Things Root" forums.. better fit. ;)