• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root KaosFroyo - w00t! now some Q's

BOY

May 6, 2010
OK, pulled the trigger last night on both rooting and flahsing KaosFroyo v30.... LOVE IT! much faster than 2.1 OTA with sense. I do miss my sense widgets though :( So what are my options?

ADW seems jumpy and no (good) widgets

Launcherpro is great but I'm cheap (and on a work phone) and don't want to pay for Plus to

Launcher2 - flash update to KaosFroyo? no idea what comes with it though.

Other?

I really want to get my favorites, bookmarks, calendar (I NEED this one), messaging and email widgets would be nice but not required. Any thoughts?

OK, pulled the trigger last night on both rooting and flahsing KaosFroyo v30.... LOVE IT! much faster than 2.1 OTA with sense. I do miss my sense widgets though :( So what are my options?

Launcherpro is great but I'm cheap (and on a work phone) and don't want to pay for Plus to

Launcher2 - flash update to KaosFroyo? no idea what comes with it though.

Other?

I really want to get my favorites, bookmarks, calendar (I NEED this one), messaging and email widgets would be nice but not required. Any thoughts?

I think ADW Launcher will be a little jumpy if you do not set up OC profiles. (I can't remember whether Punk.Kaos set it to default @ 710 Mhz or not)

As for bookmarks, I'll admit I miss the HTC bookmark widget. Here's an alternative, though, that you might find useful for one reason or another: the app "Bookmarks Backup & Restore". It is really set up mostly for managing bookmarks and it's not a widget, either - but you can easily scroll through your bookmarks, change their default sort order, and launch them. Primarily, though, you might find it useful to save/restore bookmarks to/from your SD card. If you make a nandroid backup of your KFV30 ROM, and then restore your old ROM (you DID make a Nandroid backup of it, right?), you can install that app, make a backup of your bookmarks to the SD card, restore your KFV30 ROM, install that app (again), and then pull your bookmarks off the SD card.

Once you have done that once in Froyo, you won't need to do it again if you are using the "Save my settings" feature in Froyo and you flash a new Froyo ROM: bookmarks are part of the "settings" that Froyo backs up to the (Google) cloud.

eu1

Upvote 0
Im in the same boat on missing the sense widgets. Pure calendar is almost identical and syncs with google. Pure Messenger is similar to the messaging widget for sense. It combines sms,and email into one widget. Best part is they're both skinable and you guessed it there are sense skins for both. I am having probs getting the messenger widget to update though, sometimes it works sometimes it don't. Still playing with settings though. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Now I got a few question bout KaosV30. On the lockscreen in the top right it says TeamandIrc. Anybody know how to remove that? Also what a good fullscreen weather widget? Also anybody else think the autobrightness setting seems too sensitive? Mine dims the screen now where it didn't before with the official ota 2.1. Overall Im lovin this Rom, super fast when overclocked to around 748.

Upvote 0
On the lockscreen in the top right it says TeamandIrc. Anybody know how to remove that?

The instructions for doing that are right here on the FAQ Page for the ROM (under the "UI Stuff" heading)

You can probably just use an editor with a root-aware file manager if you don't want to push the file with adb.

eu1

There is a much easier way to REMOVE the 'TeamandIrc' tag, but since I'm no longer on KF30 so I'm going to have be a REALLY vague about where to look (sorry - maybe someone who finds the correct area can give better directions).

(waiting for the lightening strike from the heavens for contradicting EU1....)

I believe it was in the Cyanogen Mod settings, but it could have been under display.
There was a place where you chose what to display on the lock screen. Two of the choices where just initials that didn't mean anything to ME, but I turned them off just to see if I could get rid of the 'TeamandIrc' and it did.
So you're looking for something like 'Display (initials) on Lockscreen'. Uncheck that and the banner line goes away.
Note this is for removing the line, not changing it.
And again, sorry about being so vague but I'm currently on xtrROM so can't actually look at the screens any more.

I believe what EU1 suggested will change the banner, if you'd rather go that route.

Reactions: droblyer
Upvote 0
Also anybody else think the autobrightness setting seems too sensitive? Mine dims the screen now where it didn't before with the official ota 2.1.

Poke around in Settings->Cyanogen mod settings->User interface->Automatic backlight. For example, you could try starting with turning off "Allow light decrease". I can't tell you where to put these settings - and don't ask me to explain what they mean - but try altering them to see if you can get them to what you like.

Upvote 0
There is a much easier way to REMOVE the 'TeamandIrc' tag, but since I'm no longer on KF30 so I'm going to have be a REALLY vague about where to look (sorry - maybe someone who finds the correct area can give better directions).

In this loaction in github: HTC Droid Eris ROM Site

you'll see that there is a download for "ChangetoVZW.zip". Download that to the root of your SD card, boot into Recovery, and flash that file (without doing any wipes or anything else - well, you can Nandroid backup in case it doesn't work, though I can assure you that it will) and, on reboot, TeamAndIRC will now say Verizon Wireless.

(It basically just automates the process in the FAQ.)

Upvote 0

for scrollable People widgets, I use SCrollable Contact Widget (free). Works great, just as good as the HTC people widget.

Calendar I use Android Agenda (free and scrolls, and you can customize a lot)

Bookmarks, I just use Dolphin Browser HD, and dont need a widget for bookmarks since it has a good bookmark interface.

remember when using ANY scrollable widgets you have to activate the scrolling function within ADW or LP.

Upvote 0

(waiting for the lightening strike from the heavens for contradicting EU1....)

I believe it was in the Cyanogen Mod settings, but it could have been under display.
There was a place where you chose what to display on the lock screen. Two of the choices where just initials that didn't mean anything to ME, but I turned them off just to see if I could get rid of the 'TeamandIrc' and it did.
So you're looking for something like 'Display (initials) on Lockscreen'. Uncheck that and the banner line goes away.
Note this is for removing the line, not changing it.
And again, sorry about being so vague but I'm currently on xtrROM so can't actually look at the screens any more.

I believe what EU1 suggested will change the banner, if you'd rather go that route.

Thanks for this---it got me to the right place and I was able to get rid of the naming--which is what I wanted: Settings/CyanogenMod Settings/User Interface Settings/Satus Bar/Date and Provider/ THEN UNCHECK THE BOXES FOR Display PLMN (Lockscreen) and Display PLMN (status bar) and it will go away.

Upvote 0
OK, 24 hrs with KFV30 and I really am loving the speed and sleekness but I really miss Sense. I'm also noticing my battery life is no better than before. Before I go back to a 2.1 Sense ROM (XtraSense maybe?) are there any froyo ROMs in development or in the wild with Sense UI?

Also, I'm not receiving picture texts from my wife's stock 2.1 ERIS... we both had the slideshow "bug" and now I can't see anything she sends :( (neither handcent nor stock SMS app). Thoughts?

Upvote 0
OK, 24 hrs with KFV30 and I really am loving the speed and sleekness but I really miss Sense. I'm also noticing my battery life is no better than before. Before I go back to a 2.1 Sense ROM (XtraSense maybe?) are there any froyo ROMs in development or in the wild with Sense UI?

Also, I'm not receiving picture texts from my wife's stock 2.1 ERIS... we both had the slideshow "bug" and now I can't see anything she sends :( (neither handcent nor stock SMS app). Thoughts?
for an MMS fix, try checking out the FAQ:
KaosFroyo FAQ - KaosFroyo - GitHub

for battery life, you might need to download setcpu and add some profiles.
http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/152970-kaos-froyo-v30-2.html

Reactions: Bobwhitlow
Upvote 0
Thanks for this---it got me to the right place and I was able to get rid of the naming--which is what I wanted: Settings/CyanogenMod Settings/User Interface Settings/Satus Bar/Date and Provider/ THEN UNCHECK THE BOXES FOR Display PLMN (Lockscreen) and Display PLMN (status bar) and it will go away.

Glad you found it BEF!
And more importantly, others can find it now too using your directions.

Upvote 0

the MMS issue, I had on my wifes phone (but my install was fine) did all mentioned previously but none of it work. the only thing that let it work (crazy) was doing a nandbackup, flashing back to 2.1 (I used Ivans Official) setting up the google account, then got all my in queue texts (it just started working), then wiping cache/factory reset, then doing the nandrestore, and it just worked..... why. I dont know, the nandrestore should have brought the bug back, but it didnt... go figure?

in the battery realm, Froyo does a great job of letting itself be underclocked and be more stabled than 2.1. I recently used SetCPU to clock down when the screen is off to 122 and max out at 245. I also use 2G Toggle which I believe only works on CM builds (like Kaos) and that turns off yoru 3G speed to 2G when the screen is off. So that saves battery, I get great battery time since coming to 2.2. Also use Autokill to strict and you should see some gains.

Upvote 0
Not a glitch--I would imagine the screen uses the most juice of any process when you are using the phone. But still, I use the brighteriffic app to toggle between 0 and 40% on the brightness scale. 40% is plenty bright for most indoor situations and zero for low light. ( I go into manual brightness to bring it up if I need to outdoors and my battery use is great. The power control widget does similar to brightness--but you can't pick the percentages. Been up running since abut 6:30am today and using regularly for calls and email checks and replies and still have over 50% battery. Much better than stock 2.1 Eris.

I was a big fan of Sense but with this ROM, I'm most impressed with the voice quality of the phone and snappiness of the dialer. Big improvement over the Sense dialer.

Upvote 0
Where's the md5 for KF v30?

Here's what I have on my SD card (they both installed correctly)

Code:
$ adb shell md5sum /sdcard/kaosfroyo*zip
2901343cc7d350a7237983c46e251f61  /sdcard/kaosfroyo-v29.zip
1530596e88b8d084105fd5170e2cb799  /sdcard/kaosfroyo-v30.zip

$ adb shell ls -l /sdcard/kaosfroyo-*zip
----rwxr-x system   sdcard_rw 78379698 2010-08-14 13:39 kaosfroyo-v29.zip
----rwxr-x system   sdcard_rw 79997048 2010-08-18 11:58 kaosfroyo-v30.zip

hope that helps.

The other thing you can do to verify that a download is not corrupted after you download it (to your PC) - if you have the Java JDK installed - is to run a verify pass of the .zip file:

Code:
C:\blech> jarsigner --verify C:\Download\kaosfroyo-V30.zip

This helps a little bit in the event that the dev does not publish MD5 signatures (they all should, but that's a topic for another thread). This verifies that the .zip file is intact and that every file in it matches the checksums listed in the manifest file, and that the manifest file itself is signed.

If it passes this test, you should have pretty good confidence that the zip file is not corrupted. (Authenticity is a completely different mater, though). After doing that, you could compute your own md5sum checks on the PC, and also on the phone (for rooted phones); or for non-rooted phones, at least check the file lengths on both the PC and the phone (down to the last byte).

eu1

Upvote 0
OK, next glitch with this ROM. My display is not autodimming like it should and my battery usage meter shows display at 60%! This is NOT right. I'm on Launcherpro (free). This can't be right and would explain (partially) why my battery drain is so high... thoughts?

If you recently re-booted the phone (or recently unplugged it from a charger) and you have been poking around on it a lot, 60% could be a completely reasonable number.

If I were you, I would fully charge the phone overnight, and then use the phone "normally" (rather than the "mad fool mode" that we all go into when exploring and configuring a new ROM), and then towards the end of the day (or whenever the battery is getting low), then look at the % figures.

That will give you a better picture, I think.

eu1

Upvote 0
If you recently re-booted the phone (or recently unplugged it from a charger) and you have been poking around on it a lot, 60% could be a completely reasonable number.

If I were you, I would fully charge the phone overnight, and then use the phone "normally" (rather than the "mad fool mode" that we all go into when exploring and configuring a new ROM), and then towards the end of the day (or whenever the battery is getting low), then look at the % figures.

That will give you a better picture, I think.

eu1

I was behaving this morning and I was down to 65% by lunch! Only a couple of emails, 2 quick voice calls. I didn't start playing until I noticed I was so low (total :eek: moment). My brightness toggle is set to auto, but it only seems to dim sometimes, very odd. When I was using ADW (which I removed with launcher2) it was too dark... very odd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones