• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help kazakhstan?

why does my sprint evo think i am in kazakhstan on the home screen? i have tried to change my location and have tried to change my city on the weather app, and even rooted my phone. but it is still giving me the weather and lists my current city as kazakhstan. i have taken out the battery and placed it back but still kazakhstan. any one know why? oh i live in plattsburgh ny, not kazakhstan. any suggestions? thanks!

That's really odd. My dad has the same problem with HTC EVO 4G and he lives in Plattsburgh. His HTC Sense widget (on the come screen) says Kazakhstan instead of Plattsburgh or anything else in the area. I live in the Albany, NY area, but came up to visit my dad and now my HTC EVO 4G also says Kazakhstan. I never had this problem in Albany. I noticed that sometimes when I sync all my accounts, it goes back to Plattsburgh, but doesn't stay there for long. I took the HTC Sense widget off my dad's phone and added the WeatherBug app. Oddly, that also said the current location was some city in Kazakhstan. At least with WeatherBug you can change the default to Plattsburgh and disable the current location.

Upvote 0
so i went back to best buy and talked to one of there phone people and they said that i have to sign into my goole account, which i already had, and then allow for google to pick up my location. so i did this and it currected my current city, but when i am in certain parts it goes back to reading kazakhstan. when i updated the weather though, it goes back to my correct current city. very strange....

Upvote 0
I know this thread's a little stale, still thought I'd add -- I had the same issue in Plattsburgh... kept placing me in Zhambyl, Kazakhstan. The reason this is happening is not due to HTC or your phone: it's Sprint's coding of where their tower is located.

As you know, your phone's A-GPS uses both cell towers and plain old GPS to determine where your location is; Sprint must correctly enter their tower's physical coordinates for this to work. However...

Plattsburgh is at 44

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones