Keep "Capacitive Buttons" LitTips

Last Updated:

1. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

...the option is in "Sound & Display" option then select "Keyboard Timeout". The keyboard backlight & capacitive buttons seem to be tied together. Hope this info is helpful. Enjoy you Epic guys!:D

Advertisement
    CrozB and drexappeal like this.
  2. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Thanks for this info. I was wondering about this and will be important for the person I'll be getting the phone for.

I wonder if this would make the battery drain that much quicker or if the effects would be minimal.

3. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

I learned this from engadgets site when they asked samsung about the issue with the light not staying lit and being unresponsive

4. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

probably pretty minimal. i plan on setting mine to match the screen, so 30secs. no need for them to be on allllll the time lol because when you light up the screen they turn on

5. drexappeal

If you set for a 30 second shutoff, do the lights on the buttons turn off while you're actually doing something (e.g. texting or surfing the net).

Reason I'm asking this is, this was one of my main annoyances with the Touch Pro. The backlight for the keyboard would turn off (based on my backlight settings) even if I was in the middle of typing in a URL or texting or sending an email. I'd much rather the backlight stay lit on the keyboard and the capacitive buttons until I put the phone on standby.

6. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

yep, was the very first setting i changed.

7. Puddin422

Puddin422 Well-Known Member

Thanks!! That's been bugging me!!

8. DaveyJ

DaveyJ New Member

so i don't kill battery.. i keep the default setting and use the camera shutter button to re-light them when needed

9. Puddin422

Why don't you just tap in that area when you need them lit?

10. YaBoiD

Because you'll be double tapping all the time...

11. dr.pepper1

dr.pepper1 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I thought the short default lit time would bug me, but I haven't really had a problem with it. I more or less know where the buttons are and I usually am able to push them on the first try. They are pushable even when they aren't lit. So I haven't even bothered to increase the time that they stay lit.

12. Puddin422

Hmm. I didn't have that problem. That's why I suggested it. That's how I was doing it until I saw this thread. Tapping it lightly once just lit the buttons up. You can feel when you have activated one of the buttons..

13. drbunda

drbunda Well-Known Member

Hmmm...when I go to Keyboard Timeout my only options are to set time limits (3, 6, 15 seconds) or "same as screen timeout" - even with the "same as screen" it turns off when the screen is still lit after a while.

Thoughts?

It's not bugging me too much because like everyone said, you can just tap on it lightly to get it to come back on and you learn where all the buttons are, but it would be helpful to have them stay lit.

Thanks!

14. drexappeal

Yup. I put it to same as screen (which is set to 10 minutes), but the light for the buttons shuts off way before that. But like you also said, I didn't realize you could just tap on that area (without activating one of the buttons mistakingly), so that solved that issue.

15. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

When my screen times out, the screen becomes locked, and I have to hit the power button, and slide to unlock,. very annoying. Is there a way around having to do that?

16. YaBoiD

CrozB and gme109 like this.