• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keep Epic or Activate Evo?

desairs

May 16, 2010
Hey guys, I am a launch day Evo user. I really loved my phone but I lost it after some time. I went back to my Pre back up phone for a little while.

Last week Best Buy had the Epic for $125 with 2 year upgrade so I thought I'd try it. Well here I sit with the Epic and honestly I'm not impressed with the 4 rom options I have. I feel like the Evo had impeccable support and a great community. The Epic just seems like a joke.

Well now I have a brand new evo and a week old epic. Which should I keep? TIA

The dev. community for the Epic isn't as mature as the Evo, so its kind-of a no brainer that if you're into rooting/roms (right now) go with the Evo.

But, the galaxy S is really a world phone, on all carriers, and architecture for all Galaxy phones are basically the same, so I expect development for the Epic to pick up dramatically.

Reading your post, however, it sounds like you've already made up your mind. So, get the Evo and have a happy thanksgiving.

Upvote 0
Stick with Evo, if your into support than you'll get tons of that on Evo forums, I guess the real question you have to ask yourself is what do you want out of your device and which device will give you the better experience.

+1. I would only stick with the Epic if you like the screen better or if you play a lot of graphic intensive games. Normal apps, you won't be able to discern that much difference in smoothness or quality. If your Evo is rooted then that's even better. My Evo is using custom rom and OC'd that when compared to the Epic (which I returned) I hardly could tell the difference with everyday use and to an extent even with games (gameloft games).

Upvote 0
Maybe you didn't catch the way the OP (unintentionally?) dissed us:

I feel like the Evo had impeccable support and a great community. The Epic just seems like a joke.

So what are we, chopped liver? Then s/he wants advice on which phone to use? It comes off like, "hey, should I keep my current car or get a piece of sh*t like yours?"

I think it reads more like they are both great cars, it's just the people who WORK on them aren't the strongest...lighten up man, it's just a PHONE!

Ask anyone and they will tell you the HTC community is STRONG, heck I had 2.2 on my Hero before I had it on my EPIC. Don't get me wrong, as of right now, I wouldn't trade my epic for any phone out there, compared to my Fiance's EVO, the screen alone, plus keyboard are what does it for me.

The sour attitude/cockiness/selfishness is what will bring the EPIC down in my eye's, every thread from here to XDA will tell you that, and it's something that worries alot of people interested in the phone.

Lighten up, answer the questions politely, GIVE insight and move on!

Chris

Upvote 0
Correct me if i'm wrong but the OP stated the Epic seems like a joke... Um... With that said why even ask the question on which one to keep? Your opinion is just that, We all love our Epic's despite the not having FroYo, a Kickstand, a working GPS (although mine works fine) and the HTC logo. If you think the phone is a joke then by all means go for whats best for you...

Upvote 0
I'm guessing here, but I don't think the OP intended to call the Epic a "joke". If he/she did there would be no reason for the post. It would seem that the dev scene is important to him/her. He/she made a comment about the Evo dev community and then called the Epic a joke. I think the intention may have been to call the "Epic's" a joke as in the Epic's dev community, not the phone. Not the nicest way to put it, but right now the Evo dev community is significantly larger and more active. Only the OP can clear it up, but several here decided it best to make him/her unwelcome. If you "love" your phone (personally, I like my things and love my family) and want the community to grow, treating visitors like crap isn't the best way to go about it. As I tell my kids over and over, it's about attitude!

Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying Pastafarian but you also have to look at it like this... The EVO is going to have a larger Dev community simply because it was Sprints, no... I take that back, the WORLDS FIRST 4G handset and it was sold out from here to Timbuktu less than a week after it was shipped to stores. Im sure if we went around the site and tallied up EVO owners to Epic owners, the EVO owners would win by a landslide, thus the larger Dev community. But ours is growing every day and I for one am a proud owner of this powerhouse of a phone. Wouldn't trade it even if I was offered a free Evo. To me it seems this thread was just meant to throw the Epic under the bus. The OP created it 2 weeks ago and we haven't seen a post from him/her in here since the original. No 'Thank You's' no 'I agree's' no nothin...

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
Seddy, first of all you're making this an us against them situation and I don't think you should. It's a phone! It's not that personal. In a year, both phones will be near worthless old junk that most will already have or be looking to replace no matter what happens now. The original post just isn't inflammatory enough to justify some of the responses it received IMHO. If you want to create a inviting forum where noobs feel comfortable, either try to help the OP out or ignore the thread and leave it untouched. If you feel it's an inflammatory troll post, click the little report button and let the mods deal with it. I own both phones, I hang out in AF a lot and I don't want to see them turn into a bickering mess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones