Keep getting message "For Faster Charging Use Original Charger" I'm using the original charger!General

1. Ronnyp74

Ronnyp74 Member

Every time I charge my phone with the charger it came with it give me a message saying "For Faster Charging Use Original Charger." I am using the charger that came with the phone in the box when I bought it at the Verizon store. Any ideas?

Advertisement
    :
  2. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Are you using the original cable too?
  3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Samsung mod their chargers outputs (data pins) for fast charging.
    Dirt or damp fluff in the phone's or cable's connector could fake electically resistances and bother the phone's detecting the mod on the charger.
    Using a cable without or broken data wires also could have the same effect.

Harry
  4. CyberWinter

CyberWinter Well-Known Member

I use the same charger but I use a USB that is longer than the white original. I don't get any messages. Does the "wire" matter?
  5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

The phone needs to "see" the charger's modified data pins ... so the two data wires in the cable have to be intact.
    Your longer cable has intact data wires, so you see that the lenght of your cable doesn't matter :)

BTW, long cables could be a problem if their power wires have small gauges. Then their electrically resistance let drop the voltage level on the phone's port. The phone may not properly charge with 4V level instead of 5V ;)

Harry
  6. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

Fixed your post. :D
  7. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

I frequently use a non-OEM charger/cable (older microUSB charger - third party), and I've never seen that message - charging doesn't seem to be noticeably slower either. The third party charger claims to be a 1A charger
  8. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Well-Known Member

So the Samsung charger charges faster? I thought I was the only one imagining this
  9. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

The Samsung charger is super fast in my experience.

The cable will have an effect for two reasons. Harry2 is correct about the data wires being necessary but I disagree about the length. The longer and thinner the cable the higher the resistance and therefore the lower the current.
  10. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Well ... sorry for causing a misunderstanding :)
    I said the same in another way ... dropping voltage level on the phone connector imply lowering amperage.

Harry
  11. RhysLlewellyn

RhysLlewellyn Well-Known Member

I regularly use other chargers and have never seen this message. The galaxy charger is fast but that's because it has an output of 2A which is pretty high for a charger, most are around 1A.

I'm not sure I believe this is an optimised lead for charging though. I don't understand what this process is that is mentioned, that Samsung have employed that is any different to any other lead. It is just connecting a negative and positive terminal.

This said, yes impedance does have some impact but any half decent lead will be absolutely fine and any performance increase will be negligible if it's a standard length charging cable.
  12. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

An as far as I know explanation about Samsung's charger and cable :)
    Samsung's modifications for fast charging are only applied on the charger, the data pins of the charger's USB output ... and yes, the Samsung charger has enough power.
    The Samsung cable isn't modified, it has the four power and data wires like a standard microUSB cable. And its power wires have the right gauge (low resistance in relation to the cable lenght ;) ) to ensure a proper amperage flow while charging.

BTW, some generic chargers have applied part of Samsung's modification ... jumpered data pins on their USB outputs. And some phone manufacturer's chargers have it too ... HTC charger's have it I know for sure.

But Samsung's charger additionally set a voltage level of 1.2V on the jumpered data pins.
    This could explain different charging times:
    Without jumpered data pins -> trickle charging (with an amperage up to 500mA).
    With jumpered data pins -> fast charging.
    With Samsung's mod -> faster charging (for Samsung devices).

Harry
    lotus49 likes this.