• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keep going into Silent Mode

pm_phone

Sep 16, 2010
I don't know how, but very often I look at the phone and it's put itself into silent mode. ( i see the speaker with the line through it in the upper status bar)

Due to this i've missed text and phone call notifications. Sometimes, after i go into the menu and un-check Silent mode, I see that the ringer volume (for both calls and notifications) has been set to 0

What can be causing this? As far as I know, I am not running any of those apps that adjust the phone based on time of day or location.

Any chance you are accidentally hitting the buttom volume key and lowering it that way or accidentally sliding down the notification bar and selecting the silent button?

Thanks for the response.... I doubt I can be hitting the volume key. I'd have to hold it for several seconds to mute everything.

What do you mean by "sliding down the notification bar and selecting the silent button?" When I slide down the notification bar, I have 4 buttons: wi-fi, bluetooth, 4g and GPS.

The only ways I know of to toggle silent mode is to press the left hard button, go into settings, then 'sound & display' and uncheck 'silent mode' or to press and hold the power button, and press the option there.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response.... I doubt I can be hitting the volume key. I'd have to hold it for several seconds to mute everything.

What do you mean by "sliding down the notification bar and selecting the silent button?" When I slide down the notification bar, I have 4 buttons: wi-fi, bluetooth, 4g and GPS.

The only ways I know of to toggle silent mode is to press the left hard button, go into settings, then 'sound & display' and uncheck 'silent mode' or to press and hold the power button, and press the option there.
It doesn't take very long in my experience.

Upvote 0
A similar wrinkle on this problem for me.

This phone has done this from day-one that I got it, and I'm wondering if it's something specific to this model, something's messed up...or if it's a known issue (oops, I mean feature) with Froyo.

Whenever the phone is plugged into USB on my computer (I didn't get a charger with my phone, so it's the only way I can charge it, plus I use the plugin to control the phone from my computer), I'll periodically look down & notice that the phone has set itself to Silent Mode (Settings/Sounds/Silent Mode checkbox). If I turn the sound back on, I'll later look back down to notice that the phone has turned it off again.

I've read a few forum entries on various forums, and invariably, the first questions asked are "Are you sure you're not bumping the buttons or accidentally changing the setting?". This occurs while the phone is plugged into USB, sitting untouched face-up on my desk.

I have seen a couple of mentions of various combinations of sound-mode apps used to prevent silent-mode from happening, but none of them seem to prevent this. Most recently, I installed "Silent mode blocker" and "Night Ringer Free" as I saw suggested.

I'm open to suggestions. Thank you for your time.

Sanyo Zio by Kyocera
Running Android 2.2
On Cricket network (if that matters).

Upvote 0
I had same issue. I have a chinese iphone copy whiich looks identical to the iphone in every way except it's android 2.3.3 It was going to silent mode by itself, or so I thought. When the the phone goes to sleep it is not in silent mode. Soon as you wake it up it is in silent mode. The reason for this is the top button above the volume buttons used for wake up has another function, it switches silent mode on or off depending what state it's in before you press it to wake up. So your phone is asleepand you wake it up by pressing the button...... you have just put it in silent mode without knowing. To fix the problem, if the vibrate indicator is showing on the toolbar press the wakeup button and it's sorted. So simple isn't it, but it foxed me for weeks. Also , now I don't use that button, I use the power button instead. A quick press wakes it up or puts it to bed and it does't affect the mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones