Keep it or Kick it?General

1. ouch1976

ouch1976 Well-Known Member

Hi All, I just got a sick deal on a new Kindle Fire HD 7" and I'm undecided if I want to keep it or just flip it for a small profit. I already have a Transformer Prime and a Nexus 7, so I don't need the Kindle. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. So, should I crack the packaging and play with it for a little while or should I not even bother if I have other full-functioning android tablets? Any real world experience with all the devices would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
    :
  2. TgeekB

TgeekB Well-Known Member

Unless you want to read books or watch movies from Amazon Prime, I don't see what you would do with it since you have the Nexus 7, which is more of a tablet.
  3. ouch1976

Yeah. I hear you...Amazon has made a compelling offer with the Lending Library and all the Prime services...but I'm way too entrenched into Google Play to start in a new eco-system. But I was wondering if all the apps that I've downloaded from Amazon's Free App of the Day would transfer to the Kindle if I started using it?
  4. Jesslynh

Jesslynh Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm invested in both Google and Amazon Prime, so I switched from a Galaxy Tab tablet to the Kindle 8.9. I promptly rooted and grabbed all my Google apps (some don't work, tho)

Yes. As long as you have an Amazon account and the Amazon Appstore is on your device, you should be able to get your Amazon apps--pending compatibility, just like in the Play store.
  5. ouch1976

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, I didn't bother opening it and ended up pocketing a quick $40. The 8.9 is definitely more enticing than the 7", so I'll keep my eyes peeled for one...
  6. TgeekB

TgeekB Well-Known Member

There you go. I was looking at getting the Nexus 7 after Christmas but my wife ended up getting me the Kindle Fire HD so I have been using that. It's great for reading (I had an older Kindle) and joined Prime both for the movies and the 2 day shipping on Amazon. It's OK as a tablet but not as good as the Nexus 7 of course. I'm happy.
  7. dhrandy

dhrandy Well-Known Member

I went from a HP Touchpad rooted with ICS to using a 1st edition Kindle Fire. I then upgraded to the 7 inch Kindle Fire HD. I like the 7 inch version better than the larger tablet. I don't see that many any advantages over any other Google tablet.

I've also sideloaded many Google store apps that aren't on the fire.