Keep my Droid or get X

Last Updated:

1. HookEmHorns*UT*

HookEmHorns*UT* Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Should i utilize my 30 day and get the X or root this one and overclock. I really like the Droid. I came from Eris to the Droid and i love it but will it be worth getting the X or not. I'm torn.:eek::confused::(

Advertisement
  2. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

I dont know man.... i love my droid to... but man the X is SWEEEEET!.

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

It doesnt look like the Droid X is going to ship with 2.2

For me that means that Motoblur or Ninjablur or shadowblur or whatever other blur comes on the phone is going to be very slow to be updated. Even more so than the droid. That would be a major concern for me. Enough that I wouldnt buy the phone if I was up for renewal Im not sure.

4. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

I have an upgrade coming up and I'm getting the X.

5. pirahna

pirahna Well-Known Member

I probably will too.

6. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

Hopefully the new Droid will be rooted and you can move away from that Ninjablur stuff.

7. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I would consider it if I was up for renewal but I'm not and I'm totally happy with my Droid. I love my rooted Droid!

8. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

Why does that sound familiar, Oh wait the Eris suffers from the same thing. Hookem, if I was you I would go ahead and root and overclock your droid. A rooted and overclocked droid is by far the best performing phone out right now with the most options ROM wise. Now if the Droid X didn't have blur that would make it a much more difficult choice. I don't really need the keyboard, I mainly use swype.

9. bgish3

bgish3 Well-Known Member

Im not positive but I think you can turn blur off and just use plain android

10. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Its true you can mostly turn blur off but turning it off won't mean faster updates

11. rogue_slc_vzw_rep

rogue_slc_vzw_rep Well-Known Member

the Droid x looks sexy.. id have to hold it in the store and feel the device. I'm quite happy with my Droid though so it would have to be pretty kick ass

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

This is very good advice. My Droid is absolutely stellar in every respect - rooted and running Pete and Fab's awesome NexBeast rom with LauncherPro. It really doesn't get any better than that. For me anyway, any so called *upgrade* would be a downgrade performance-wise. So I agree, keep the Droid and let the "All Things Root" section become your best friend.

13. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

I know it is out of your thirty days but why not just wait for the droid 2 in july?

14. webeougher

webeougher Well-Known Member

For me, I'm going to hold off and see how long it takes the X to get 2.2 (if it doesn't ship with it) versus how long it took the original Droid to get 2.1. Also, I won't be leaving the Droid for the X until the X is rooted, and even then it's still questionable. This is easily the best phone I've ever owned, and I really don't want to get rid of it, but I work in an industry (environmental remediation) where there's consistently a lot of dirt and dust or really wet conditions, and I think I'd be further ahead with a single-piece phone, as I clean the inside faces of my Droid daily and it still is beginning to accumulate grit in the tracks where it slides.

In the long run, it's really up to you - see how much you like your Droid after 20 days or so and then make a more informed decision about what you think you'd like to do. I know the SholesMod team disbanded, but there should still be a ROM floating around out there that will let you go back to stock 2.01 (and subsequently update to 2.1). I know I have one saved on my phone just in case anything happens to it that would require a return to Verizon.

15. Koop

Koop Member

I honestly don't see any reason to upgrade until LTE. I don't think any major advancements are going to come up between now and then. You might get a bigger screen, better camera, or slightly faster processor, but really nothing major. 3.7 is a great size, 5.0 MP is pretty darn good for a camera phone still, and I'm clocked at 1.2 ghz right now. I really don't think there is a point in using an upgrade if LTE will be out in 12 mo and then you are stuck waiting 24 for a larger upgrade.

16. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way. I love my droid, esp since I've got it rooted and running at 800.. But, I have no problem waiting till then with it! I'm not even looking at my upgrade date till LTE comes out.

17. UnexplainedBacon

UnexplainedBacon Well-Known Member

Maybe its just me, but that thing looks way too big. I mean its approaching tablet computer size. I thought the EVO was big... the X is even bigger. Hope you guys have extra large pockets to carry it around in. ;-)

18. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

This. I was severely considering getting the X, but I am gonna wait until LTE rolls out later this year.

19. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Personally.... I'd get the X. It's looking like it will be my 'upgrade path' when I am able to upgrade.

20. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I'm thinking about getting it. Not sure yet though..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

21. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

Poll fail.

Unless you don't mind being without a smart phone (unless you have some backup phone) for at least a month or so, I would just keep the Droid. They still haven't announced the Droid X yet so there's no hard launch date yet. I'd at least wait until they announce it to decide.

If anything, just keep the Droid and sell it toward a Droid X (or Droid 2 like I'm prolly going to do). I don't think you'd lose out on too much doing that, esp if you keep it in good condition.

22. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

VZW, Google, Motorola, and Adobe are having an event on the 23rd. Most likely all the details on the X will be spilled on Wednesday (and possibly the Droid 2 as well).

I'm gonna get the X, but I'll keep my Droid as well. Hoping the X gets rooted fast, but the fact that it's putting up overclocked Droid 2.2 numbers while running 2.1 is pretty awesome, and I likes me some next gen 45nm OMAPs.

Also, while I have no qualms with the Droid's processor speed or GPU, 256MB of RAM is really starting to tick me off.

So, if you can wait until the 23rd, you should. You'll have more info then to make a better decision.

23. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Return the Droid, get an Incredible and if the X comes out before the 30 days, return it and get the X.

24. pirahna

pirahna Well-Known Member

You are only allowed one return per contract period, they can deny your second return and it can only be done with store manager approval.

25. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member