• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

keep my evo and stay with sprint or get the nexus one and stay with t-mobile?

tigerin

Lurker
Jun 13, 2010
hey guys, i've been stressing out the last few days about it. i have a few choices but i don't know what i should do. a second opinion could help.

i just got a evo from sprint last week and to be honest, the phone is absolutely gorgeous. i really love it. the thing is, i'm still in a family plan with my parents on t-mobile which they're paying and my mom weren't happy when she found out i branched off. my contract was already over with t-mobile and i've been doing month to month for a year.

so my choice is to keep the evo and pay for sprint or return it since i'm within 30 days and stay with t-mobile. the sad part about t-mobile is that they don't have any good phones beside the nexus one and the upcoming samsung galaxy s which i don't like the look of it at all. i'm thinking of ordering the nexus one through google but i'm not sure if it's worth 529 dollars plus tax. i also heard it has a few problems so that kinda push me away from it.

anyway, what do you guys think i should do? both sprint and t-mboile has good coverage here. i just find out t-mobile has hspa+ which is a nice plus(no pun intended.) and sprint is going to have 4g here soon. i don't know about t-mobile's customer service but sprint is really nice to me.

i don't know what to do lol. i have a job so i can afford the evo and sprint but with t-mobile i'll pay less since i got the family plan and i'm contract free.

so android forum members. tell me what i should do????

Keep the Evo and wait for an even better phone to launch and grab it WHENEVER! Paying an early termination fee and getting that hot new phone will be cheaper than buying that Nexus One right now...

Of course this does not take into account your monthly fees being covered by the family. Obviously a Nexus One would pay itself off then. But if you can afford to go your own way, another option!

Upvote 0
Go back to T-mobile. Call T-mobile back up, ask specifically for "customer loyalty department" let them know you left, and can they offer you any awesome discounts or grandfathered plans. Most likely they will work really well with you, to get you to come back. Ask them if there are any free phones, or maybe if your entire family is off contract. Ask them if you guys can all completely disconnect, then that will make your entire family considered new customers. Then you can go into t-momible and get any any any any phone for free, saturday only. Ask the store to waive activation fees. Then sign up for any family plan in the store and ask if customer loyalty is willing to then transfer your new phones over to your old plan, that is if your old plan is cheaper than new plans.

just make sure they note everything on the account. They are great, they will work hard to get you back. This is why t-mobile is such a great company, they genuinely want you apart of their family.

Upvote 0
Tmobile the speeds are better not to mention we will be getting galaxy s don't go for Nexus One go for something that can take hold of tmobiles new speeds 21mbps!

21mbps my arse. That's like sayin wimax gets speeds of 70mbps... those are both theoritical speeds. In 4g areas,(which exceed the amount of hspa+ areas) the speeds are a wash as of right now, and tmo has no handsets to take advantage of these speeds.

Also, sprint is getting the glaxy s pro, so that's a wash as well. Op, do what makes YOU happy.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
If coverage is equivalent for you then go with whatever you prefer.

i'm thinking of ordering the nexus one through google but i'm not sure if it's worth 529 dollars plus tax. i also heard it has a few problems so that kinda push me away from it.
Worth is always highly subjective and we can't tell you if it's worth it to you. Factor in that you don't have to agree to a contract extension for the N1 and that it's a Google phone so it will get updates faster if that matters to you.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, thanks for the reply.

Don't get me wrong, I love my EVO 4g. I'm still amazed at the gorgeous screen everytimes I turn it on. There a lot of things that I love about it but I don't want to go off topic lol.

the only phone T-Mobile offers that comes close to similarity with the EVO is the nexus one. Unfortunately it's sold through Google's website. I was thinking of order it, comparing it with the evo, and return it if i don't like it. But the 45 dollars restocking fees and the hassle of calling htc within 14 days kinda make it hard for me to click purchase. I don't really care about the froyo updates or rooting. I care more about the 3g connection, web browsing and the touch sensitivty since I like to surf on my mobile device. I really dig the live wallpaper and weather widget that why i want HTC's android even though I don't think nexus one has animated weather widget. I was thinking of getting the HTC hd2 since it so similar to EVO 4g but i don't think it's right for me lol.

Well, I just had a conversation with my mom and bro. They said I'm grown up now and keep the EVO if I want. But i still feel bad for leaving my mom with T-Mobile since her and my dad signed up to have a family plan with me. my brother signed up for t-mobile back in 2004 and signed me up in 2006but branched off with wife to at&t. So I don't know if we still get any discount for that.

I just checked the etf for Sprint and it 200 dollars to cancel ur contract early and it decreases 10 dollars as the months go by until my contract ends. I think that's pretty cheap. Plus I really appreciate how they let me sign a contract without putting down a deposit since i have no credit history. They also give me 25% discount on their accessories and might waive my activation fees which i found pretty kool. I also get 14% discount for my job place which goes down to around 90 dollars every month including insurance(according to what the rep there told me.) Which i think is a good deal.

So yea, hard choices. I don't know what to pick lol.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, thanks for the reply.

Don't get me wrong, I love my EVO 4g. I'm still amazed at the gorgeous screen everytimes I turn it on. There a lot of things that I love about it but I don't want to go off topic lol.

the only phone T-Mobile offers that comes close to similarity with the EVO is the nexus one. Unfortunately it's sold through Google's website. I was thinking of order it, comparing it with the evo, and return it if i don't like it. But the 45 dollars restocking fees and the hassle of calling htc within 14 days kinda make it hard for me to click purchase. I don't really care about the froyo updates or rooting. I care more about the 3g connection, web browsing and the touch sensitivty since I like to surf on my mobile device. I really dig the live wallpaper and weather widget that why i want HTC's android even though I don't think nexus one has animated weather widget. I was thinking of getting the HTC hd2 since it so similar to EVO 4g but i don't think it's right for me lol.

Well, I just had a conversation with my mom and bro. They said I'm grown up now and keep the EVO if I want. But i still feel bad for leaving my mom with T-Mobile since her and my dad signed up to have a family plan with me. my brother signed up for t-mobile back in 2004 and signed me up in 2006but branched off with wife to at&t. So I don't know if we still get any discount for that.

I just checked the etf for Sprint and it 200 dollars to cancel ur contract early and it decreases 10 dollars as the months go by until my contract ends. I think that's pretty cheap. Plus I really appreciate how they let me sign a contract without putting down a deposit since i have no credit history. They also give me 25% discount on their accessories and might waive my activation fees which i found pretty kool. I also get 14% discount for my job place which goes down to around 90 dollars every month including insurance(according to what the rep there told me.) Which i think is a good deal.

So yea, hard choices. I don't know what to pick lol.

Easy answer.. if your happy with the evo, keep it. You can't stay on mom and pops plan forever ya know.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones