Keep Phone Number Across Carrier?

Last Updated:

1. katamari

katamari Active Member This Topic's Starter

Can you keep your old phone number from a different carrier to an N1 on t-mo?
    Has anyone had this done?

Advertisement
  2. idiotekniQues

idiotekniQues Well-Known Member

i ported my sprint number to T-mo and it was seamless.

3. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

Yes, I ported my AT&T number successfully. There was a bit of a problem in that the AT&T number was under my wife's Social Security number (we were on a family plan) and I signed up for T-Mobile using mine, so the automatic porting didn't work, but everything was fine after I called customer service. There was a period of a few hours where I had to carry both phones -- incoming calls went to my AT&T phone but I could make outgoing calls from the Nexus One -- but when that resolved, there were no further problems.

4. katamari

katamari Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys! I would hate to have to change my number.
    Do I have to do anything special like call t-mo and set this up or can I do it on the google.com/phone website itself when I purchase my phone?

5. idiotekniQues

idiotekniQues Well-Known Member

i did mine right through google.com when i ordered the phone.

you will see where to tell it that you want to bring over an existing number. it will warn you that if you do this, whatever contract you are on with your carrier will be cancelled and you are responsible for any fees incurred from them.

then you log back onto the google phone website when you get the phone and select activate. mine was activated 2 hours later.

6. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

Yes, that was the "automatic porting" I referred to in my post. If the AT&T and T-Mobile accounts had been under the same Social Security number, I would not have had to speak with T-Mobile customer service, just filling in the details on the order page would have been enough. There is enough "churn" between cell phone providers that this is normally a very smooth process these days, since portability was legally mandated a few years ago.