Keep screen dim mannually, #1 for low power consumptionTips

Last Updated: 2011-06-29 04:22:25
  1. djdillpickle

djdillpickle Well-Known Member

Auto adjust fails to attenuate the brightness consistently.

I can be using my DHD for entire movie lengths in pitch black conditions aside from the TV and the DHD refuses to dim the screen appropriately.

Would just like to preach the wonders of manual screen brightness. Keeping it as low as practical manually has a big difference.

I know its been said before but it's worth its own topic, IMO.

Advertisement
  2. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I find the auto brightness to be largely ok, certainly preferable to always using manual and constantly having to change the setting, but agree that it doesn't go dim enough under dark conditions. I'm surprised that no one has developed an app to allow the profile of the light sensor versus display brightness to be changed by users
  3. MaxyDad

MaxyDad Well-Known Member

I wonder whether a toggle could be set up in Tasker, via a homescreen widget, that would toggle between different levels of brightness (e.g. I never use the highest brightness setting, so perhaps 10%, 20%, 30% and 50%).

Might look into that.

Maxy

Edit: actually I haave a vague recollection of someone else doing this, so not my idea.
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

For 70p (ish), you can get Extended Controls, that'll do the job.

Aside from the brightness controls, it's a really handy app anyway. :)
  5. SB13X

SB13X Well-Known Member

I concur with El P Extended Controls is a wonderful app with various options to customise what each toggle does and how the widget looks as a whole. It has also had all the toggles updated to work with GB. </p>
    Here is what is included

As we know Android provides a widget that allows you to enable or disable these settings: WiFi,Bluetooth,GPS,Sync,Brightness.Don
  6. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

I have Tasker to turn on Screen Filter at a certain time. I also have it turn on during some games since I really don't need full brightness then. I also use Widgetsoid to make a notification toggle (so I don't have to put it on my homescreen).

If you need help with it in Tasker, let me know. It's actually really easy, though.

Tim
  7. mobile363

mobile363 Well-Known Member

manually adjusting the screen is good. If you are planning to stay put in a dark place, then yea, adjusting it is fine. But if you plan on going outside and you have screen brightness at a lower level, youre going to be hooped.
  8. djdillpickle

djdillpickle Well-Known Member

True 363.

It can be difficult to find the brightness button in direct sunlight on a dim screen.