Keeping the phone off of the camera lens cover...General

Last Updated:

1. veccster

veccster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Any bright ideas for keeping the phone off of the camera lens? I wish I could add feet on the four corners that would raise it above the lens on flat surfaces.

Do silicon covers raise it enough that the lens does not touch?

Even a small screen protector for the camera lens? Though I don't see that staying on as I slide the phone into my pocket.

Advertisement
  2. jfunk

jfunk Well-Known Member

The hard plastic and soft silicon covers that Verizon has make the camera lens flush, so not really protected. It is for that reason that I went with the black Bodyglove case, which is a little bit more bulky, but the lens is safely indented from the back with it on.

3. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

fyi, thats not the camera lens its resting on. thats a piece of protective glass/plastic to protect the actual lens that is down inside the phone away from harm.

no need to worry my friend :)

ncsustash likes this.
  4. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

and it gets scratched up your still screwed...

it doesn't look like a "user" replaceable item to me...

5. wedgemoose

wedgemoose Well-Known Member

Veccster, I bought the hard rubbery type cover from Verizon and it is thick enough that the lense (or protective glass) is below it. just slightly but it is below enough to not touch what it gets put down on. I had the exact same concern as you. the second I put my cover on my probelm was solved. The cover is real nice also. Not a plain rubber type. It a great material. I will never take it off.

6. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

what case exactly did you buy? a hard snap on one?

7. veccster

Yeah, I realize it's a cover but the camera still looks through it to take a picture.

WedgeMoose, a link to the cover you bought would be awesome! That is exactly what I am looking for. Any chance you can snap some pictures of it on your phone? I'm curious how it covers the volume rocker, trackball and flash LED's.

Thanks.

8. jlb0305

jlb0305 Well-Known Member

I just rubbed my keys on it and it didn't scratch... may be an over time thing though. I hope my case will be taller than it though. I got the Amzer rubberized crystal hard case.

9. dvdivx

dvdivx Well-Known Member

Extended battery cases would fix this.

10. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking too. Not guaranteed that they'd raise the part of the back cover near the camera but I think it's likely. Not ETA on extended battery though.

11. BzB

BzB Well-Known Member

i have the verizon case that comes with a holster, believe it's the only one. it raises the phone enough that the lens cover doesn't touch.

this was one of my concerns too. imo i think a case will be needed to keep the lens cover from getting scratched at some point. although the lens cover is probably scratch resistant, like the screen, any minor scratches can have a significant impact on picture quality since it's right over the camera sensor.

looking forward to some nice cases from incipio and seidio.

12. wedgemoose

wedgemoose Well-Known Member

its on the verizon website under accessories. It's like a crystalized rubber. Or a soft plastic. or a stiff rubber. It's hard to explain but you can tell when you look at the pic on their website
    [​IMG]it works real good. Doesn't make it TOO thick. protects real nice. the only bad part is that is is shinny black (real shinny)here is the link ( i don't know if it willl direct you right there because I had to put my zip code in) but under accessories chose the incredible as your phone and then go to covers. Enter your location

13. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

And the protective cover is replaceable. It is held on with adhesive. So if it does get damaged (which is not likely unless you abuse the phone), it can be replaced.

14. veccster

Hey, I also just realized the 'lens' does not actually touch the table when laying flat. There is a very slight lip (silver in color) around the camera that will sit on the table. If I slid the phone across the table, it would be sliding on that silver part - not the lens. That makes me fell A LOT better!

I am going to look into that case but I don't really like the shiny black. More covers will start coming out and I may wait until I have some options. Thanks for the info.

15. jazztalker

jazztalker Well-Known Member

Thanks for mentioning this. Unfortunately, I got home late last night after a really long day and didn't have time to play with the phone. I looked at it though, and couldn't tell if the lens was flush or recessed.

Thanks!

16. askop

askop New Member

So here's what I did: I had some extra screen protectors lying around and I took one and subjected it to one of the punches of my three-hole punch. Viola. A perfectly-sized circle of protector that I carefully placed on the lens.

veccster likes this.
  17. ratchetjaw

ratchetjaw Well-Known Member

THe hole punch is a great idea. I spent forever trying to cut a perfect circle and gave up.

18. nicksender

nicksender Member

I have the black silicone case that Verizon sells as well. The lens housing sits just below the case cut-out. A few people have mentioned that their lens sits below the silver ring and is protected. That is true in my case, but I have seen a few others that do not sit below that ring and are flush. I'm thinking there are some variations in production where the lens may or may not sit flush with the silver ring. I am happy with the case providing some protection for now until something better comes out. I don't think they could have done a worse job of making the lens housing look and function like an afterthought, but it does take great pics!

19. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

I bought the BodyGlove case and it gives the camera lense ideal clearance from the surface it's laying on.