• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keeping unlimited data on Verizon

So how do you recommend I get do this?

just go to the retail store that services your carrier, and they will program a new SIM and get your new phone working.

as to buying the new phone?, I would prepay it so you are NOT under a contract which will avoid the issue of the data plan changing at all. buy the phone at the cheapest place you can find what you want. then go to your Carrier's Retail Store and get a new SIM

if you go on contract with a new phone, that has broken some unlimited data plans... it did for me.
I mulled over what to do about that for a month, finally, I just said "aw what the hell" and did it.

traded in the UL plan and went to a measured data plan.... why?
the CS rep looked at my data history and I had not used more than 2 gB in over two years.
so, why pay for the UL plan???

Upvote 0
Because I use a lot of data. Way over 2gbs per month. I need to keep unlimited.

I should have been more explicit in my "why" question, it was to "me", not you...

you have no choice, pay cash for the phone of your choice and get a new SIM card, Verizon does not care actually... just don't break the rules, and you will never loose it.

Upvote 0
Because I use a lot of data. Way over 2gbs per month. I need to keep unlimited.
2?

Go to a Verizon store and ask them to switch the SIM for you, just make sure they don't touch your plan. Verify it before you walk out. I'd normally just get a SIM and do it myself online but since you have unlimited I'm not sure that's the best idea.

If I may ask, how much is the unlimited these days? Just curious.

Upvote 0
I am now paying a monthly payment for a brand new lg v20 and still using my unlimited data with Verizon. Remember, the extra 20 dollars we are paying per month to keep our antiquated (to Verizon) unlimited data, is so we can use it. Now I pay 28 more additional dollars for a new phone to use that data. Got this at a corporate store.

yeah, I have a phone on contract.
everytime I do that, I swear it will be the last time I do so.
totally inhibits your ability to change things w/o it costing an arm and a leg.

Maybe Uncle Sam will make a donation to my bank account ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones