• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Keeping up to date with Android Versions

stolzie

Lurker
Jun 25, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am not an Android developer and have been thrown into the deep end to help maintain an application for an engineer who has since left the company. He published an application which was released for Kit Kat.

This application has not been updated on Google play since then. Now that Lollipop has been released and the norm on all new phones. I need to update this application so that the filters on Google play allow it to be seen with the new version of lollipop.

I have tested the APK on lollipop by installing it directly onto the phone and it works as it should. In order for me to update the Version on Google play, do I need to reload a new apk to get it to be seen by the latest versions of phones searching on Google play?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stolzie

@stolzie

Here's a quick outline...

You'll need the app's source code and signing key.
  1. Import the source code into Android Studio.
  2. Open the file "build.gradle" and update "dependencies" if any.
  3. Next update "compileSdkVersion" then "targetSdkVersion" both to 22.
  4. Next update "versionCode" and "versionName" to a higher number (example: 8 to 9 or 7.1 to 7.2).
  5. You may also need to update buildToolsVersion to "22.0.1"
  6. Once you've done all the above click on the prompt asking you to sync.
  7. If there are no errors after this then you can build and sign the release app and upload it to the play store.
Again this is a quick outline, but should get you updated hopefully.

Tip:
On each of the lines that need to be updated in the "build.gradle" file you can place the cursor and click alt+enter. This will present you the option to update the line for you automatically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones