• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keeps dropping WiFi Connection

ml_nelson

Nov 10, 2010
I have good 3G coverage at home. Also have a WiFi network with a very strong signal & nothing else on in. The phone will often not connect to the network w/o my help. I look a the status & It says its "Obtaining an IP address". It will stay like that indefinitely.

I turn WiFi of, then on & it connects. Now if I put the browser to work... after a few minutes I notice the WiFi at the top indicates no WiFi again. The phone is doing the "Obtaining an IP address" address thing again.

WiFi off/on again & its back, but it will drop the WiFi constantly.

What's up with this behavior?

I noticed the same thing on mine... it seems for me that after its been asleep for a while I have this problem, I have wifi set to not go to sleep ever... long story but my company gives me a mifi so I use that for data and then only have 15 dollar data plan... anyways I had a certified preowned ally for a week the gps in it would never lock on signal so verizon sent me new ally got it this past Tuesday and now this wifi problem..... I'm going to try using static ip instead of dhcp and see if that makes a difference... I also didn't notice it first day or two I wonder if some app I have installed is causing me problems who knows...

Upvote 0
There are thread after thread about flaky WiFi performance.

In my case, I updated the router firmware in my house & it works reliably now. But... Every other laptop & WiFi devive that ever came in my house workd just fine with the original router configuration. The Ally was is only device to ever not get along with it.

Bottom line is that the WiFi in the Ally seems to be fragile & sensitive to things no other device has problems with.

Upvote 0
Well for mine it works great at home with a belkin router. The sprint mifi on the other hand has been an issue although I installed wifi keep alive from the market enabled work around 1 and that's seems to have fixed the problem with the mifi. I wondered if for me and the mifi if it had something to do with the 3g connection going dormant on the mifi itself if maybe this was causing issues... anyways its working great now!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Not sure if this will help or not... I have the same issues at home with a Linksys WRT54GP2 router, using WPA PSK. However, I just found a setting on my Ally that may help, once you're connected.

Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi setting
Press the quick menu button, tap Advanced
Change the Wi-Fi sleep policy to "Never".

This will probably consume more battery life, but you just would need to remember to turn off the wireless when you're done using it.

Jamie
LG Ally since 11/26/2010

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion livefree75, however I enabled that not long after I got the phone because I'm not on the 30 dollar 5gb plan I'm on the 15 dollar 150mb plan... so I'm very careful about data usage when not at home. I've only once had to reconnect since installing the wifi keep alive app with workaround 1 enabled! Ill post back if I have anymore problems...

Upvote 0
When someone asked what routers you were using I was waiting to read a story similar to what I had with a Dell Axim X51v on my D-Link router. There is something about that router that has flaky connection issues when using WPA encryption, but ONLY connecting to the Axim. Once I got newer integrated PDA/phones the issue disappeared. The router's issue was well known and well documented on the D-Link (and other) forums, but D-Link wasn't doing anything about it.

What would happen is the Axim would connect, but every 21 seconds, like clockwork, it would disconnect, and then have to reconnect again. This would repeat endlessly. I had to switch to a different router for its wifi until I upgraded past the Axim.

Zoandroid

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones