Kernals And Roms?

Last Updated:

1. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I just got my droid (ONLY the droid, no battery, backplate, or charger) lol. I know irritating right. Well since I have a couple days before everything comes that I need, i am contemplating on which ROM to put on it. I have done some reading and seems that the majority of people are happy with BB (right?)

But my question is....
    What about Kernals? I have heard to flash new Kernals for overclocking and such, but should I flash a different Kernal or do the ROMS already have the fastest Kernal installed on them? Not sure if this question makes sense, but I'm just trying to get the fastest ROM & Kernal available for my Droid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Well i do know that the latest bugless beast's kernel is 800mhz max (BBv0.4). I recommend chevyno1 kernels. Also i use rom manager, its the easiest way to switch between the kernels when you're testing your droid's voltage and speed limit.
    (e.g. on medium voltage i can reach 1.25ghz, but on low voltage i can only make it to 1ghz. i cant do any of the ultra low voltages :(lol)

darkside likes this.
  3. Thornfullessrose

4. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you. Coming from an Eris i'm not experienced with Rom manager, but once i get my Droid going i'm thinking that alot more of it will make sense, since it seems that Roms, Kernals, and Themes are all on RM. Totally different than the Eris where you had to put everything on your sd, bott into recovery, then flash.

5. droid_freak

droid_freak Well-Known Member

Every Droid seems to be different unlike Thornefullesrose my Droid loves ULV ChevyNo1 kernels. I however have never been able to run anything above 1.2 GHz. Its not all about the GHz, I would say to start at the stock and go to 1.0 and up a step at a time. ULV helps save battery, P3 kernels work well too atleast on my Droid.

6. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

One other thing is to make sure the kernel you install is compatible with whichever ROM you are running. There are a lot of posts about people flashing kernels and then there phone reports 0 battery life and won't boot up. It's because Froyo roms require froyo kernels, and 2.1 roms require 2.1 kernels.

All the ROMs coming out now should be 2.2, but not all kernels listed will be for 2.2.

7. Thornfullessrose

droid_freak is right, it isn't all about the ghz. Heck, the droid is fast at it's stock 550mhz! Thats why i don't mind not being able to go higher in low voltages because 450mhz more is more than enough.
    ---
    supersaki is also right. I've had kernels that didn't rub well with the rom. I had 90% battery and it said 0%, had the red battery with the line through it and the red LED light came on. Had bootloops also, where sometimes it'll make it to the droid x boot animation(BBv0.4) or won't even past the moto logo and kept rebooting. So just make sure it's a froyo kernel.
    I've had a waaaaaaay better experience in the root world with the moto droid than with the eris and im sure you will too.

-Mr. Miyagi: "Remember Danielson, Root = Droid Does MORE!" :)