Kernel Installation

Last Updated:

1. GoinOnTilt

GoinOnTilt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How do you install Kernals? do you install before you install a new ROM?

Do most ROMS come with/without kernals?

I'm getting hip to the ROMs and how to easily install them...

...kernals still have me "corn"fused...

Advertisement
  2. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

The Roms will generally come with a kernel. You can install a custom kernel that is compatible with your Rom (Sense kernel for a Sense Rom, etc.) the same general way that you install a Rom. You install the Rom first then the kernel. When installing a kernel, it is probably best to go into "advanced" in your clockwork recovery and do a dalvik cache wipe before installing. Do not do a data wipe or cache partition wipe when installing a kernel.

GoinOnTilt likes this.
  3. GoinOnTilt

GoinOnTilt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Appreciate it.

4. migeeman

migeeman Member

Go to this website: Kernels & More - The Incredible List.

Most ROM's have a pre-installed kernel, but you can always change it. I like hydra kernels for my incredible, but their are definitely a few other alternatives. Adding an over clocked ROM will kill battery pretty badly, but I minimize it by under clocking when not in use. Good luck and remember to read everything first and follow the directions to the letter. Have fun and enjoy your new kernel.

5. Sean1208

Sean1208 Well-Known Member

Do you have to have SetCPU (paid version) to over/underclock at certain times, or can the kernel do this on its own? I'd rather not buy apps unnecessarily.

6. dscribe

Try the hydra kernels, they have underclocked and overclocked kernels that not only work without setCPU, they don't recommend the use of setCPU with their kernels.

Sean1208 likes this.
  7. REYES

REYES Well-Known Member

They use older kernel source but work well. I do like Kings kernels just a tad bit better although King is a shady asshole. It's a shame ejhart left. d;(

8. dscribe

Yeah, I've had "mixed results" with King's kernels. That Ziggy kernel is working well for lots of folks now and I think it is based on newer source. I'm currently using the latest available stock kernel with a newly updated version of setCPU myself and getting fantastic results.

9. REYES

REYES Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of the Ziggy kernels but I will definitely check into it. How is the performance while multi-tasking? I wish we coulds overclock the new stock kernels. d:)

10. Sean1208

Sean1208 Well-Known Member

Great, because I had a Hydra kernel installed originally, so I'll go back to that since I don't need it. Thanks.