Kernel Kernel[1.8GHz](WIP) Module method also

Last Updated:

1. rbheromax

rbheromax Well-Known Member

Here's a little something I've been working on for about all of 10 minutes :D
    I just wanted to create something really quick. All I did was take the kernel config from a running Force (thanks MODACO) and pair it with the kernel source of the ZTE Avid and you get this awesome baby!!!! :cool:

I basically pushed this phone to the max (without it blowing up).

Source is @ https://github.com/newkid313/android_kernel_zte_aurora
    ^^not up yet^^

Current working method:
    Download this first:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aps2fltk3ldbuki/zte_krait_oc.ko

Then:
    Code:
    adb push thermald.conf /data/local
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    cp /system/etc/thermald.conf /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak
    rm -r /system/etc/thermald.conf
    cp /data/local/thermald.conf /system/etc
    reboot
    Load the overclock (every time you reboot):
    1. Load the kernel module (replace pll_l_val and vdd_uv with your desired voltages and L value as explained above. It defaults to 67 and 1300000 if you don't give it any parameters):
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    insmod /data/local/krait_oc.ko pll_l_val=67 vdd_uv=1300000
    2. Bring core 1 temporarily offline so it gets updated with the new max frequency:
    Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    3. You'll now have an additional CPU frequency! SetCPU can configure your maximum frequency up to this speed. You can also choose to keep running at 1.5GHz at any time - this method doesn't eliminate any available frequencies. Set the max at 1.8GHz to verify it's stable here.
    4. Restart thermald by running "ps". Look for "thermald" in the list, and find thermald's pid (it's usually a number in the low hundreds, higher up in the list). Run "kill [thermald's PID]" in adb shell. The kernel does not currently have kernel-level temperature throttling turned on, so thermald is important for now.

Remove the overclock by restoring your backup of thermald.conf:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    rm -r /system/etc/thermald.conf
    cp /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak /system/etc/thermald.conf
    rm -r /system/etc/thermald.conf.bak
    reboot
    Rebooting clears any kernel modules that are loaded, so you're now clean. You can then delete anything left over in /data/local, but it doesn't matter.

Right now its features are:
    - OC to 1.8 GHz
    - Custom boot splash

This is the custom boot splash it uses:
    [​IMG]

I will release as soon as it is tested and I have screenshots of a cpu control app showing the OC

Advertisement
    GodManGordo and tgamble160 like this.
  2. jimsmith80

jimsmith80 Well-Known Member

You get this up and running and I get the base rom up and running, and we will have one awesome start once we have the phone.
  3. rbheromax

Exactly, superfast stock
    I dont think I'll be able to get init.d enabled tonight but I'll be done before Tuesday
    (Its easy, I just don't feel like decompiling boot, opening ramdisk, edit files, recompile 2x and hoping for the best)
  4. tgamble160

tgamble160 Member

will this help with init.d? says it will work on any rom any kernel.
    edit. just saw that is for a nexus 7

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1912504
  5. tgamble160

tgamble160 Member

6. rbheromax

I know how to do it, I just currently don't feel like doing it right now, but basically I will do that, and since jimsmith80 has a stock rom with busybox built in, it will be easier than ever to add init.d since I dont have to include any extra heavy binaries to my ramdisk
    tgamble160 likes this.
  7. tgamble160

tgamble160 Member

Yeah. I have no idea what any of that means. Lol just remembered seeing it so I searched for it again. Super excited for some development on this phone though. Thanks in advance
  8. rbheromax

Lol well no problem. If all goes well, this kernel will be released today :D
    tgamble160 likes this.
  9. jimsmith80

I've got a work around for init.d
  10. rbheromax

What's that?
  11. jimsmith80

A little scrip work in the installrecovery.sh. I'd have to look it up in one of my early builds for the warp.
  12. jimsmith80

Here it is

#!/system/bin/sh
    # init.d support
    busybox run-parts /system/etc/init.d/
  13. rbheromax

Well add that to your ROM, i will make my kernel compatible
  14. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Dude Guide

15. rbheromax

I ran into something, this phone has a locked bootloader /: As soon as I find a workaround (kinda already found 2) I can release.
  16. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Dude Guide

Ok,Sounds good.

Sent from my N9100
  17. rbheromax

Well.....one way failed...now to move to porting Loki.
  18. donjuro

donjuro Well-Known Member Developer

Is it possible to keep the second core always on?
  19. rbheromax

Yeah but I can't remember the app name atm, but why would u want to do that?
  20. altaran

altaran Well-Known Member

I think the app is kernel tuner. Its mentioned in another thread.
  21. donjuro

donjuro Well-Known Member Developer

No, meant without an app. Is it possible to add it to the kernel is what I'm asking. And because I find it to be faster if the second core is always ready instead of turning on and off all the time.
    Most of the time I feel like the second core doesn't even fire up when you start to need it.
  22. andrew.johnson

andrew.johnson Well-Known Member

Yup its kernel tuner. But I keep mine on while playing games to eliminate lag.
  23. rbheromax

To keep the second core always on would require me to rewrite the cpu driver and take out all the cpu schedulers that hotplug the second core. Yes it's possible, but it'll take time.
  24. altaran

altaran Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Wasn't this yesterday??? Lol jk....keep it up I cant wait to test it.
  25. rbheromax

I have come to believe that the Force has a locked bootloader. I'm reading the bootloaders calls right now to be sure. So far I don't see anything. This is odd because my kernel should work. :confused: