• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel] MARQUEE UNLEASHED 3D performance booster v3.2.1 (7/18/12)

Are you on Sprint or Boost? I did have trouble with my SD card when I installed an older version of the 1300Mhz kernel, but I think ndno updated it or maybe it was related to something else because the newest version didn't cause me any trouble with my SD card. Its also entirely possible that your SD card does not like competing with the CPU/GPU for attention from the power controller. I would be very surprised if the changes we have made are causing you problems unless there is something strange about your card and/or phone. Do you have another SD card you can try? May be a good excuse to upgrade. I can't tell you how much happier I am with this phone running at full 3D power with ndno's overlclock and BloodDawn's CTMOD. If worst comes to worst, backup all your stuff in Titanium Backup, format your SD card, and do a fresh install of everything. It may be a pain, but the plus side is that everything will run smoother.

On Sprint. I think you and ndno hit it on the head that the SD card doesn't like competing for power.

What I did before was copy everything off my card, formatted under windows (and then reformatted again on the phone), and restored all of my files back onto it. Everything is running normally again on 1.1. I'm convinced it's the undervolting causing the issue and the variation from kernel to kernel is to be expected. I will try out ndno's 1.1+3D once he gets a chance to compile and let you know whether any problems still arise.

Your contributions are appreciated.

Upvote 0
@plonko, try this: https://www.box.com/s/161e4fc1799e4cc20890

It's OC 1.2GHz v1.1 with imfm's 3D boost

@ndno ,

You were lightening fast, but unfortunately, no, it didn't work. Antutu still stalls out on the SD card test exactly as it did before. Looks like 1.1 is going to be my long term kernel.

Thanks again for your help.

edit: Thought I should add that when it got stuck on the SD card test, the phone started heating up significantly to the point of getting extremely hot. I did a battery pull and reinstalled 1.1 and everything is back to normal.

Upvote 0
Yeah, 16GB and above may not play nice with CWM or Android: see here: http://androidforums.com/marquee-all-things-root/530360-problems-clockwork-32gb-microsd-card.html. I added a post in that thread to show you how to format a high capacity card under Linux.

I believe most people use 8GB or below. I'm not sure.

When I get a chance, I'll create a zip for you that combines v1.1 kernel with imfm's 3D boost ramdisk.

Not sure about 32GB, but the 16GB card I have works fine on my phone. I have been through all the versions and never had Wifi issues.

Upvote 0
the OC kernel uses the Hyper Kernel RAMDISK, the init.rc in the ramdisk has one line added to it for 3D boost. Hence its still blood's hyper ramdisk/ndno oc uv zimage/imfm 3D boost
Thanks man... I thought about that after I posted, it's all good though.. I am getting 2700 in AnTuTu. (High for me, specially since I only have a Class 4 SDHC.)

Upvote 0
Here's a 1GHz stock speed version, undervolted by 100mV with the 3D Boost:
https://www.box.com/s/ba7c225e668809d9ab14
Frequencies: 300, 600, 800, 1000 MHz

Score is only 2533 for me but it's still smooth and snappy as butta. I'm using it because it gives me great battery life; most of the times, my phone is using less than 80mA with this version.

Maybe not ideal for gamers; I don't play games ;) I just watch NetFlix, YouTube, and SlingBox :)
Hey ndno, thanks for this but it broke wifi for me.

Reactions: ndno
Upvote 0
Okay, I just got

2990 plugged...
3029 unplugged...

2900 plugged...

screenshot-1336707112896.png

3029 unplugged...

screenshot-1336707342897.png

and no i didn't mix those up...

ctmod 3.6 and unleashed 3_1

Upvote 0
Hey ndno, thanks for this but it broke wifi for me.

OK, I think I fixed it (working on mine now). Same specs (100mV undervolted, 300,600,800,1000MHz).

Earlier, I was playing around with the kernel and when I did the build, I broke the compatibility of the kernel against the broadcom wifi module (and any other modules that may load).

Upvote 0
OK, I think I fixed it (working on mine now). Same specs (100mV undervolted, 300,600,800,1000MHz).

Earlier, I was playing around with the kernel and when I did the build, I broke the compatibility of the kernel against the broadcom wifi module (and any other modules that may load).

Hey I was wondering if it could be possible to add new governers such as Lionheart, Interactive, Smartass etc?

Upvote 0
So the V6 Super Charger and 3G Turbo Charge do run on boot but the KAK does not?

I can't remember, but the V6 gets run in some init.rc file under your /data directory. The 3G Turbo adds the tweaks to your /system/build.prop file, which always runs on boot. The KAK script however does not seem to be launched anywhere; I believe the KAK/V6 scripts that get created are under /data somewhere, they are supposed to be in /data/init.rc that gets created to launch them but when I did mine, I only saw the V6 script being launched and not the KAK script. FYI, I'm not running any of those scripts now on my phone, nor the 3G turbo settings. This phone with the OC and 3D boost is so fast I don't need to be greedy and attempt to tweak and break stuff.

Upvote 0
I can't remember, but the V6 gets run in some init.rc file under your /data directory. The 3G Turbo adds the tweaks to your /system/build.prop file, which always runs on boot. The KAK script however does not seem to be launched anywhere; I believe the KAK/V6 scripts that get created are under /data somewhere, they are supposed to be in /data/init.rc that gets created to launch them but when I did mine, I only saw the V6 script being launched and not the KAK script. FYI, I'm not running any of those scripts now on my phone, nor the 3G turbo settings. This phone with the OC and 3D boost is so fast I don't need to be greedy and attempt to tweak and break stuff.

Ok good point and thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
@ndno ,

I tried installing your latest kernel, but it broke wifi (tried wiping cache, dalvik cache, and fixing permissions). Wifi just keeps showing "error". Flashing back to 1.1 fixed the problem. 1.1 has been the only stable kernel for me (it's outstanding and rock solid). I'm on stock ROM other than swapping out the kernel.

@imfm ,

I don't know if it was coincidental, but when I tried flashing v 3_1, my SD card got messed up. I first noticed something was wrong when I tried running the antutu benchmark and it just hung on the SD card portion. After aborting, I discovered upon rebooting that the phone would perpetually "checking for errors". I reformatted, got everything working, and tried again. Same result. Flashed back to ndno's 1.1 and everything is working properly again.

Not complaining. I appreciate you guys doing things I cannot. Just giving feedback in the spirit these forums are intended.

-Plonko

I added stock kernel versions where only one variable is changed. If this doesn't work for you, then you either need to flash a different ROM, or you hardware is busted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones