• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [MS500] Freedom Kernel Overclocked **Updated 6/17/15**

af3.png

When There's Freedom, There's Potential...
Freedom Kernel

For firmware 12b

This app can install the kernel and change kernel settings. It can also monitor system and kernel parameters.

Freedom Kernel features:
  • 1.728 ghz CPU overclock
  • 144 mhz CPU underclock
  • 480 mhz GPU overclock
  • 1.3 ghz L2 cache boost clock
  • Unsecured
  • Loki'd
  • Frandom built in for increased speed
  • Android TRIM Support
  • ROW scheduling algorithm
  • Conservative governor
  • Adaptive governor
  • Lazy governor
  • Badass governor
  • Intelliactive governor
  • Intellidemand governor
  • Wheatley governor
  • Freedom governor
  • AbyssplugV2 governor
  • Darkness governor
  • Lionheart governor
  • ROW scheduler
  • SIO Plus scheduler
  • Tripndroid scheduler
  • ZEN scheduler
  • FIOPS scheduler
  • SIO scheduler
  • VR scheduler
  • FIFO scheduler
  • Init.d support
NOTE:
Run your benchmarks when your phone is "not" plugged in to power or usb to get accurate benchmarks.

Download & Instructions

Changelog in second post.

If you like my work and want to show some appreciation, please click the like button. :)

Enjoy! ;)

Last edited:
Changelog

6/17/2015
reference
  • ROW scheduler and algorithm
  • SIO Plus scheduler
  • Minor speed update for Freedom governor

4/28/2015
  • Set SD read ahead back to normal to prevent lag on low quality SD cards.

4/24/2015
reference
  • SD read ahead increased
  • Added AbyssplugV2, Freedom, Darkness, and Lionheart governors
  • Added ZEN, Tripndroid, and FIOPS schedulers

4/12/2015
reference
  • Increased CPU overclock to 1.728 ghz
  • Added GPU overclock to 480 mhz (graphics)
  • Added CPU underclock to 144 mhz
  • Added Adaptive, Lazy, and Badass governors
  • Added SIO, VR, and FIFO schedulers

3/26/2015
reference
  • Increased overclock to 1.512 ghz
  • Added underclock to 192 mhz
  • Added intelliactive and wheatley governors

9/18/2014
  • Speed tweak to Frandom

9/6/2014
Reference
  • Added 2 kernels to choose from

8/18/2014
  • Small adjustment to init.d

5/16/2014
  • Added TRIM Support

4/13/2014
  • Updated to new firmware 12b

2/10/2014
  • Initial release for firmware 10i

;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys can use these profiles as a base to get an idea of what settings to use...

Power Save Profile:

• Governor = conservative or adaptive
  • Max = 1.2 ghz
  • Min = 144 mhz or 384 mhz if using conservative gov to reduce conservative gov lag
  • Scheduler = sio or fifo
Balanced Profile:
  • Governor = intellidemand, adaptive, badass, or lazy
  • Max = 1.2 to 1.4 ghz
  • Min = 144 mhz
  • Scheduler = sio or cfg
Agressive Balanced Profile:
  • Governor = intellidemand
  • Max = 1.4 to 1.5 ghz
  • Min = 144 mhz
  • Scheduler = sio or noop
Performance Profile:
  • Governor = ondemand, intelliactive, interactive, or wheatley
  • Max = 1.5 to 1.7 ghz
  • Min = 144 to 384 mhz
  • Scheduler = noop, sio, or vr
More governors and schedulers have been added since the day this post was created.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was able to flash this without any problems on T-Mobile. But I was running some tests and I only got 50XX in the scores and that is with it over clocked to 1.6 And governor set on performance. With stock normally I get around 53XX or at least 52XX in the scores. The over clock isn't working with this kernel. Can someone run test on quadrant standards or something similar to see what your results are?

Upvote 0
I was able to flash this without any problems on T-Mobile. But I was running some tests and I only got 50XX in the scores and that is with it over clocked to 1.6 And governor set on performance. With stock normally I get around 53XX or at least 52XX in the scores. The over clock isn't working with this kernel. Can someone run test on quadrant standards or something similar to see what your results are?
I get 6xxx scores easily on quadrant. Overclock definitely works. This is for Metro PCS variant. I don't know if it would work properly for T-mobile. I have not looked at T-mobile's kernel source to see if it's the same.

Upvote 0
How much more are you going to overclock? 1.8Ghz like on LG Spirit or more since the battery is a little better. Thanks a lot for your work. :)
I'm going anywhere from 1.7 to 2.0 ghz depending on what I can get stable. The Spirit and F6 have different chipsets so they have different thresholds for OC.

Spirit:
msm8960 cpu + adreno 225 gpu, stock clock 1.5ghz

F6:
msm8930 cpu + adreno 305 gpu, stock clock 1.2ghz

By comparison I only got a stable 300mhz increase on the Spirit. So far on F6 I got a stable 400mhz increase. The msm8930 chip seems to be a good overclocker so far and the adreno 305 kicks some serious a$$.

It definitely feels like it can go higher. Not bad though for my first F6 build. Just got the phone a few days ago lol.

For now I'm gonna focus on the rom cause we definitely need one lol.

Upvote 0
I'm going anywhere from 1.7 to 2.0 ghz depending on what I can get stable. The Spirit and F6 have different chipsets so they have different thresholds for OC.

Spirit:
msm8960 cpu + adreno 225 gpu, stock clock 1.5ghz

F6:
msm8930 cpu + adreno 305 gpu, stock clock 1.2ghz

By comparison I only got a stable 300mhz increase on the Spirit. So far on F6 I got a stable 400mhz increase. The msm8930 chip seems to be a good overclocker so far and the adreno 305 kicks some serious a$$.

It definitely feels like it can go higher. Not bad though for my first F6 build. Just got the phone a few days ago lol.

For now I'm gonna focus on the rom cause we definitely need one lol.

Can't wait for a ROM. :D

Reactions: giovannye
Upvote 0
This kernel kicks ass and my battery life seems almost the same. My first day running it so I''l see how it does by this evening. Thanks GT!!

Update:
Been running this kernel for a week now and just want to say I love it. My phone runs games great and my battery life was unaffected. I still can leave it on standby for 3 days and I'm still at 60%, amazing battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones