• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [MS500] Freedom Kernel Overclocked **Updated 6/17/15**

I temporarily restored my old T-mobile 10h stock backup to do something, and before restoring my Xperion backup, I decided to to flash the 1.6ghz kernal just for kicks. I got same old boring 4600-5000 scores on Quadrant. Even when using the Xperion rom, I got the same type of scores using any freedom kernal. While visiting an overclocking forum, I got the bright idea of taking off the back cover and putting the phone in front of a giant fan I have. And then bam
f7DpEYm.png

I suddenly start to consistently to get the type of scores Game Theory gets. So yeah, I figure it's just a temp problem and I could probably recreate these high scores if I flash the freedom kernal when I restore my Xperion backup.

Now I just gotta wait for the day for someone to create a water cooler for this phone and I'll be golden :)

Upvote 0
My highest is 59xx, I average about 56xx and on stock I average 51xx. I'm always in a comfortable 65-70 degrees room temp though.

You shouldn't be using the 1.6ghz kernel on 12b firmware since it's for 10i firmware. It's been reported that firmware 10i kernel has issues on 12b firmware. That's why I have a kernel up for each firmware.

Upvote 0
If you made the backup you were suppose to make like I said in the instructions then do the following...

1. Go into recovery and select (backup and restore)
  2. Then select (advanced restore from /sdcard or /external_sd) depending on location you chose for your backup.
  3. Now select your backup and choose to restore boot.
Once it's done you'll have the stock kernel from the backup you made.

Judging from your 2 questions in this thread you seem very new to all this phone modding. Please don't flash any of these mods until you've read enough to know what you're doing to your phone.

I have TWRP recovery version 3. In Backup, should I get backup of "boot" ? Because I don't see "Kernel".
And what's the benefit of flashin this kernel ?
Thank you

Upvote 0
I have TWRP recovery version 3. In Backup, should I get backup of "boot" ? Because I don't see "Kernel".
And what's the benefit of flashin this kernel ?
Thank you

If you're trying to install Freedom kernel then just flash it in recovery.

If you're trying to remove Freedom kernel then you can restore "boot" from a backup as long as you did the backup before installing Freedom kernel.

The benefits are the added features list in the first post.

Reactions: SaidJan
Upvote 0
Would you please update this ROM to Kitkat? With the same apps, but without lag or bug. I really love your work.
I wish the default setting background for this rom was a dark image, not white.
Also you can use Xplore file explorer, it's way better with lots of feature.

Thank you so much

I did a kitkat port myself, but it has bugs so I'm not posting it and probably won't waste time on it anymore.

I can't make the settings background dark because then you can't see the black font and the font color can't be changed without causing color issues in other places.

I don't like xplore file manager, but if anyone likes it they can install it and then remove the file manager that comes with the rom which is really easy.

You're welcome :)

Reactions: SaidJan
Upvote 0
My highest is 59xx, I average about 56xx and on stock I average 51xx. I'm always in a comfortable 65-70 degrees room temp though.

You shouldn't be using the 1.6ghz kernel on 12b firmware since it's for 10i firmware. It's been reported that firmware 10i kernel has issues on 12b firmware. That's why I have a kernel up for each firmware.

Any chance you can please do a kernel for hroark13's stock KitKat BETA 5 port?

EDIT: You could name it FreedomKat kernel

Upvote 0
Thanks for this kernal, its the second time I've installed it. This time I'm wondering if its possible to set the CPU to 1604? I would believe it would be fine. Does the kernal have to be edited, or can I edit SetCPU to make this happen? If anyone can help me with I'd appreciate it.

1.4ghz is the max.

Does this work on other ROMs or just xperion and stock I have hroarks13 kitkat beta

Not for KK.

Upvote 0
Kernel Updated

I made an installer that lets you pick between 2 kernels:
  1. Freedom Lite
  2. Freedom Overclocked
Freedom Lite features:
  • Unsecured
  • Loki'd
  • Frandom built in for increased speed - details
  • Android TRIM Support - details
  • Conservative governor
  • SmartassV2 governor
  • Intellidemand governor
  • Superbad governor
  • Init.D support - details
Freedom Overclocked features:
  • All the features of Freedom Lite
  • 1.404 ghz CPU overclock
  • 1.3 ghz L2 cache boost clock - details

Just flash the zip and during the flash you can choose which kernel to install.

NOTE:
Freedom Lite is for those that don't like to overclock or have phones that don't run well with overclock.

Screenshots:
6322970_orig.jpg

9445170_orig.png
;)

Upvote 0
Kernel Updated

I made an installer that lets you pick between 2 kernels:
  1. Freedom Lite
  2. Freedom Overclocked
Freedom Lite features:
  • Unsecured
  • Loki'd
  • Frandom built in for increased speed - details
  • Android TRIM Support - details
  • Conservative governor
  • SmartassV2 governor
  • Intellidemand governor
  • Superbad governor
  • Init.D support - details
Freedom Overclocked features:
  • All the features of Freedom Lite
  • 1.404 ghz CPU overclock
  • 1.3 ghz L2 cache boost clock - details

Just flash the zip and during the flash you can choose which kernel to install.

NOTE:
Freedom Lite is for those that don't like to overclock or have phones that don't run well with overclock.

Screenshots:
6322970_orig.jpg

9445170_orig.png
;)
Any difference between Lite and the release of the kernel before latest?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what changed, but the oveclocked kernel is working perfectly for me now. Before I'd probably get around 5500 on Quadrant with the OC kernel, but the more I ran the benchmark, the hotter the phone got, and the lower the score I got. Down to 3500 at times. And I'm only talking running it maybe 3 times before noticing a degradation in the scores.

But today (maybe it started last night), I've been consistently getting 5700-5850 no matter how many times I run it. I used a stress test app to get the phone hot, and ran quadrant immediately a few times. Scores kept up fine.

I don't know if the latest kernel update that did it or something else. I do a lot of random tweaking with the phone and I can't remember when I first installed. My download history says I downloaded it on the 18th, and I kind of remember getting the low scores even with the latest update, but I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones