kernel question?

Last Updated:

1. trevolution23

trevolution23 Member This Topic's Starter

Using rom manager i downloaded a virtuous rom and want to try a kernel....how do i download a kernel....and if i do will i have to download titantium backup and upload the backup again...in other words treat it just like downloading a rom?

Advertisement
  2. dads2006gt

dads2006gt New Member

Before doing anything .. NANDROID backup. I do not use Rom Manager as I have not had much luck with it. Here we go.....Just download it as a zip file...put it on your SD...reboot into recovery..then select zip from SD card..then highlight the correct zip file you want.....choose it and you will get a list of no's and a single yes to choose from...choose yes and let it do it thing. I just put Kings Kernel #5 on my incredible running Skyraider3.3.2 and the above is the exact way I did it..No wipes...all is good. Hope this helps.

3. trevolution23

trevolution23 Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you....but do I lose all my pages and apps like with a rom or does it go over it

4. jprow507

jprow507 Well-Known Member

Can this be done from ROM Manager? For instance, I have the new HTC Kernel saved to the root of my SD Card .... Can I just choose to "Install ROM from SD Card" like I do for ROMs normally and choose the kernel zip and not check the wipe data/cache or backup option and it will install fine?

Or is there another way to do this from ROM Mananger?

EDIT: It appears this works, but from my research it seems better to do it in Clockwork so you can clear the dalvik cache before installing the new kernel.

5. Gink

Gink Well-Known Member

In my experience it just goes "over" it. You don't lose anything.