Kernel questions

Last Updated:

1. kevin217

kevin217 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, whats up.
    so i have flashed just about every ROM available and i always go back to stock, for some reason i like it best, BUT i would like a overclocked / undervolted kernal to go with it and im not sure how that works.
    can i flash any kernal while using the stock Verizon ROM, or is a custom ROM required?
    and if i can on the stock ROM, are hydra kernals still the way to go, or is something better out that i havent seen?

thanks guys!

Advertisement
  2. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

I've used the Hydra kernels for months on the stock ROM. Obviously, you need to be rooted, but otherwise you most certainly can... the kernel and the ROM are independent of each other.

As far as which one to use... I like the Hydra undervolted myself. Adds about 10% to the battery life, and the phone is plenty fast for me so I don't see any reason to overclock. You'll get about a hundred different opinions on this though.

3. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

I'm not totally disagreeing or anything but this independence thing can be misunderstood. For instance, you can't use a kernel with an asop rom if it was designed for a sense rom and vice-versa. Also, (and I really don't know) does a rom need to be deodexed to use a custom kernel?

4. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

Good point. I've only used the stock Sense ROM, so I can't speak for the vanilla ROMs. However, to answer the OP, at least in the case of the stock Sense ROM (both 2.1 and 2.2) there's no problem with using at least a Hydra kernel. My phone's a testament to that.