Kernel Questions

Last Updated:

1. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am trying to figure out if I should download one of those kernels for CM from RomManager, but I do not know what the kernels are exactly or which one is better. The options are the bekit Kernels (0.8.3) or the P3Droid Kernels. I would also like to know if I need to wipe my apps after installing a new kernel. I did research before I posted and I got this:
    But that is not exactly what I was looking for.

Advertisement
  2. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

There should be no need to wipe anything when you install a new kernel... It is what allows you to OC your droid. Which one is best is really a matter of opinion and how your particular Droid handles it. For instance some phones can not handle the Low Voltage kernels and have to use the Standard Voltage or High Voltage ones, this will decrease battery life but allow the phone to be OC'd and run stable.

The choices are pretty much the top speed that you want (rule of thumb is to not go as high as you can but as low as you can stand)... Then the number of Slots which is the amount of options you have (for instance a 5 slot 1ghz kernel would allow you to set the clock speed at 1ghz all the way down to 250mhz in 5 steps)... Then the voltage which is how much power the kernel uses to achieve the OC, you ideally want to go with the lowest voltage that your phone can handle...

MisterEff likes this.
  3. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever bricked their phone by OC'ing their phone? I'm running Fab's Nextheme R2 and he said it goes from 600mhz to 1ghz stock. I wanna go to probably 800 but I'm worried I'll mess something up. I mean i haven't seen a thread about it, but I'm just curious. Also, I'm cheap and hate buying apps lol but I can throw down 2 bucks lol

4. MisterEff

I am probably going to OC at 800mhz, but I might use the 1Ghz as a max so 5 steps would be ok. What are the signs that the kernel is not working well with the phone?

5. ska.t73

The biggest one I can think of is constant softboots... that is booting to the boot animation screen...

6. MisterEff

Ok, thanks a lot. I am not running at 1Ghz. I decided to try that instead of 800Mhz because the speed would be more noticeable, but if the battery is drastically lower I will just lower it. Woo, fast droid.

7. ska.t73

The best advise I can give you is to use your profiles in SetCPU... Especialy the "sleep" profile, clock it down to around 550 or 400 it will help you save some battery. Also I always keep my profiles set to on demand...

8. tfleming23

tfleming23 Well-Known Member

You will go to 1000 grasshopper...I said the same thing. I was only going to go to 800. Give it a week or two (if that) and you will experiment with 1000. The last day or so I have started playing around at 1100.

9. dodger55fan

dodger55fan Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I have a related question: I've been overclocking for a few days, and was wondering what the difference between the low voltage kernels and the medium voltage (or higher voltage) ones is?

10. MisterEff

Didn't take long. I am on 1000 now haha.

@Dodger: If you read earlier in the thread, it affects battery life. I am running a low voltage kernel.

11. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

is Fab's Nextheme R2 a low voltage?