1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Kernel? What does it do for me?

1. CaucasionJ

CaucasionJ Well-Known Member

Coming from the X, I don't have a clue how to mess with kernels or what the do for me and the phone other then the bare basics. Any knowlege thown my way would be sweet and could answer questions that other people have too. ;)

Advertisement
    :
  2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Kernels control the speeds the processor runs at as well as when it runs at what speed (the governor built into the kernel controls this). Some kernels allow for greater underclocking/overclocking than others. Some also undervolt the phone and allow you to tweak it as you see fit. Personally I think kernels have a greater effect on battery than any thing else you can flash. After changing you may need to give it a day or two to settle in before you can accurately judge the performance of the kernel. Kernels have different governor options you will see each handles scaling of the CPU differently than others. If you have questions about specific terms be sure to ask :D
    Primevyl and CaucasionJ like this.
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

+1 to what Yeahha said (seriously, when you do you sleep, man? ;) :)).

At first I was going to post this :)p):
    [​IMG]
    and then I thought I'd better post this instead:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a really good write-up (now that they are back on-line):

Kernel (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The best, most concise summary I found in that page was this:

The kernel's primary function is to manage the computer's resources and allow other programs to run and use these resources.

Cheers!
    CaucasionJ and Yeahha like this.
  4. CaucasionJ

CaucasionJ Well-Known Member

Lmao! :D
    scary alien likes this.
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

:)

I'm not responsible for anything I post in a thread where Yeahha still has that crazy, rotating cat avatar...:p

I seriously cannot think straight while that shows up on my screen...its mesmerizing and disturbing, all at the same time ;) :).

Cheers!