Kernels, ROMs and Root, OH MY!

Last Updated:

1. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've decided to leap into the world of root! I've read as much as I can but I'm somewhat confused between custom ROMs, Kernels and Froyo.

I've watched/read the content on unlockr.com

Once I root the phone (go back to 2.0.1 and then install 2.1 root), do I just add a custom ROM and then I'm done? For example, if I want BB v.4, do I need to add a kernel as well? Is BBv.4 the same as froyo?

Sorry if this is elementary stuff. Thanks...

Advertisement
  2. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

Yes, just add a custom ROM, if you're on CW recovery, just download the ROM on the app and then it will auto ask you to backup current ROM and then wipe data and cache (Do that!). BB v.4 IS Froyo, and anytime you have a doubt about if it is a Froyo ROM or not, just read the OP...it'll say. You do NOT have to add another Kernel, but you can. It is stock at 600mhz (MAYBE 800mhz) when you flash BB v.4.

Hope that helped, anymore questions...ask away

Dabrador likes this.
  3. Dabrador

Thanks nathan! It's good to know that there are helpful and responsive people on this forum. Makes me feel better about rooting. I'll let you know how it goes...

4. nathan312

No problem man! Hope everything goes well! Good luck.

BTW, are you using SPRecovery or CWrecovery?

5. Dabrador

6. nathan312

Ok, did you buy the paid version too? You need to if you want to utilize everything in it, trust me, it's worth the money! And once you do, just click "Download ROM" and all the major ROM makers ROM's are on that list and you click the Maker, then you click on which ROM you want to download of theirs...very simple! Good luck!

7. Dabrador

So if I download the premium version ($3.99), I can do everything listed in section III of the link above within this ROM Manager app?

8. nathan312

No, you can use the Free version for doing that section III thing. I'm just saying that the paid app is a great investment if you would want to switch ROMs more than once a week lol. It's VERY convenient. Just click, click, click and boom....new ROM

9. Dabrador

Got it! I'll probably end up purchasing the app. I have a feeling that once I root and start trying different ROMs, it'll be like the old Lays potato chip commercial...you can't eat just one!

10. supersaki

supersaki Well-Known Member

There's a newer method that just flashes the SPRecovery instead of a whole 2.0.1 ROM [link explains better than I could]

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

And although you can do everything in ROM manager except download 'premium' ROMs, I would still recommend purchasing the premium license. Gotta support our devs!

Dabrador likes this.
  11. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't read enough :D you don't need to flash back to 2.01 to root, check out the root guide stickied to this page and go to the instructions for windows.

That will leave you at a point where you are rooted, stock 2.1 and superuser permissions. From there you can install any custom ROM/kernel/theme/etc.

Most ROM's come with a 600 or 800 mhz kernel already included, if you want to go higher you will need to try out one of the many froyo kernels stickied above as well.

Froyo is the base OS code released by google/motorola, a custom ROM like BBv.04 is a modified version of this OS. Devs add little performance tweaks, features, etc.

So yes, BB, Simply Stunning, Kangerade, CyanogenMOD, Succulent Desire, etc (there's many more) are Froyo based with that developers own customizations. You'll just have to try them all out to see which one you like best and runs well on your phone.

Dabrador likes this.
  12. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

lol .... It gets way worse than that .... you will have dreams about roms and ... if a new one is not released with in a week of your last one... you will get the shakes man :p

13. nathan312

+1

14. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Well-Known Member

I loaded three ROM's yesterday.Complete installs, setups and backups! Now I'm going to have to try the updated Chevy ROM now. :eek: Root is definitely addicting.

15. Dabrador

I did it...and it worked! Thanks to all for the feedback and advice.

16. nathan312

Gratz!