1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Kernels

1. WKlingbeil

WKlingbeil New Member

Okay, I've rooted my Moment (numerous times actually), and now I'm seeing a new kernel for my ROM that everyone says is a drastic improvement. How do I go about switching kernels in my ROM?

Advertisement
    :
  2. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

What rom is it?
  3. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Well-Known Member

I have the same question....Being freshly rooted and know nothing about all this techno babble...LOL
    I have joeykrim-SDX-a2.1-root-v7 with recover 2.1.3

Someone please edjumicate me... :)
    Thanks
    Steve
  4. edp

edp Well-Known Member

just put the rom on your sd card and flash it in recovery, just like you did to put on your rom
  5. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Well-Known Member

I know how to do it.....
    Do you suggest any that will make the phone even better?
    All the threads I read are all over the map as to what is good and what is bad...
    I just want the best performance and user friendliness I can get from my moment....
    Thanks
    Steve
  6. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

If you're using Joeykrim, you're using way old stuff. You could flash over it with a pre made rom like the Radioactive or TiX w/jit or Deamas's stuff over at AMS and get bleeding edge performance with the occasional instability. For many (not all) the jit (just in time compiler) causes spontanious reboots. There are non jit roms like TiX (w/o jit) and a few others that don't offer quite the speed but are usually more stable. You can also fashion your own rom with SDX's rom builder. I would suggest using vampirfo's or meatcurtains kernals (you can always easily flash their updated kernals over this at your leasure), armv11 (samdroid is the jit) and then add/remove the features you want. I've run radioactive for a while but have grown weary or the random reboots that seem to happen at the most inopportune times. Virtually all of this is installed via recovery. Just download the zip file to the root directory or your sd card, boot to recovery (vol down call and end buttons), select install zip, choose zip and follow directions. Personally, I'm now using a SDX custom with Vampirfo's 2.0.8 kernel, arm11, tethering, no theme and I've removed most of the installed apps.
  7. mikelcan

mikelcan Member

If all you want to do is change kernel there are two ways depending on how the kernel is packaged. If it is in a zip file just copy the zip file to the sdcard (make sure it is named update.zip) and in recovery apply that zip. If the kernel is a zImage file only you will copy that to the sdcard (make sure it is zImage note no extension or anything else so a rename might be needed). Then in recovery go to the flash menu to flash the kernel . As a reminder you get in recovery mode by removing the battery - put the battery back in - then hold vol down, send and power at the same time.

Once you have applied the zip of flashed the kernel you should be able to go into "about phone" and see that kernel listed. I have had times where it took a second attempt for some reason.

MIke
  8. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I tried running the new meat kernal and got pretty unstable. I switched back to one of his earlier kernals and things are great again. I think I'll leave the kernal alone until there's really a big benefit that I can't live without. My reason for doing it before was to see if it was faster. It wasn't.