Kernels

Last Updated:

1. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok guys. im a new rooter. and i got it all working. running nextheme. well in tthe thread for that rom. there are more kernels for faster oc. well im using rom manager for all rooting. my question is. i already installed next theme. how do i put the new kernel in? do i just do it like all others? will it overwrite nextheme?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I'm guessing you are using Bekit's kernels...right? If so, you just install it (through ROM manager) and it will not take off your theme...it just writes to the boot partition.

3. Wise

no. im using fabs nextheme.

4. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Okay, so you will not be using ROM Manager for this (I though you were running NexTheme on Cyanogen). Is the kernel in "update.zip" format? If so, you just apply it as you would any update.zip file.

Basically, whatever the method you have to apply the kernel, it is going to write to the boot partition...not the system...so your theme will remain intact.

5. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

Also going off UBRocked, if you're using say Chevy or Adamz Kernels, just rename it to "update" and update it using clockwork recovery mode. I'm currently using Chevy's 7-Slot Medium Volt running 900mHz. My temps aren't high, highest I've seen was 111F. But somehow Droids are still different so it's what works for you....

6. Wise

ok. so as long as it is in zip it will not overwrite my other roms? lol. spent three hiurs last night reading om rooting before i did it. dont want to have to do it again.
    ok. and i used rom manager to install the nextheme rom last night. should i use rom manager to do the kernel as well?

7. ronaldramsayii

Nope it'll just affect the Kernel within the phone. It won't affect the ROM. They're two different things basically lol. It'll be better to use Clockwork Recovery and do the "update.zip" like UBRocked said....

8. Wise

never used clock work. i can run update.zips from rom manager. or at least i had nextheme rom as update.zip and used rom manager for it. and it worked just fine. if thats not a good idea can someone give me some info on clockwork.

9. ronaldramsayii

You could do that I believe, but in ROM Manager you can reboot into recovery. Just make sure the Kernel you have is renamed to "update" and is the only file that is named that way on the root of your SD. In Recovery its usually the 2nd option that says "apply sd card: update.zip" hit that, then reboot and your done....

10. Wise

ok. and before i do this. i have a question. i just have cpu set at 600 right now and its runnin 40c in standby. that seems a little high. any recomendations on what kernel i should use. im looking for around 800-1000 oc. i just do t want phone melting lol. since i have fried my laptop bfore from oc.

11. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

I'm running ChevyNo1-1.1Ghz-LV-7slot and have great temps, but each phone is different. I'm at 30c right now in standby overclocked to 1.1

12. Wise

Ok ill get that one and then let it run for a little bit then lert you guys know what temps im getting. I know that a lot of different temp programs will read a little differently. What temp program do most o you guys use?

13. Wise

Ok so im only running at 800. And standby temps have gone up to 41c. They had finally got down to around 35-38c....... Im going to melt my phone by days end lol.

14. ronaldramsayii

I use Chevy MV (7-Slot) 1000mHz. I'm running 900mHz my temps are 29 C in standby. Yours is definitely running high.... Chevy makes great quality Kernels, but it all depends on your phone. Try either the LV (Low Voltage) or MV (Medium Voltage) that. I tried Low and it didn't work, but Medium is excellent...

15. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

I'm just using TempMonitor Lite

Attached Files:

16. Wise

ok after 10 mins of standby i was down to 31. so that seems a little better im running the lv 7 slot 1.1. at 800. normal runing temp seems to be right around 40 at max now. so i think ill be ok. my laptop didnt fry till 170 c lol. i still have the case with scorch marks and half melted. so thats just why i was freaking.

17. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

I must have tried about 30 different setups before I found what worked best on my phone. I tried ChevyNo1 and AdamZ in evey volt and speed they have. Just worked out that the ChevyNo1-1.1Ghz-LV-7slot did the trick.

18. Wise

yep. its doing good now so. no worried I'll freak out when it hits 50 if it ever does.

19. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Even though installing a kernel in update.zip form will not overwrite your setup do a full backup first. Murphy's Law does apply when doing simple upgrades.