• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [KERNERL] CM11/KK with ov5693 camera support

I installed the kk kernel and KitKat MINI 4.4.2 BETA VD_3B rom
main camera works fine. but in front camera my face is blue. I installed "camera mx" and turned on the blue effects and now it's fine.
Can you please fix this too?
but these kernels didn't work with any android 4.4.4.
Thank you so much.

I'm having the same problem my camara is blue? How exacly do I fix this were do I get the app camara x? anyone help?

Upvote 0
I installed the kk kernel and KitKat MINI 4.4.2 BETA VD_3B rom
main camera works fine. but in front camera my face is blue. I installed "camera mx" and turned on the blue effects and now it's fine.
Can you please fix this too?
but these kernels didn't work with any android 4.4.4.
Thank you so much.

I'm having the same problem my camara is blue? How exacly do I fix this were do I get the app camara x? anyone help?

Upvote 0
I tried the KK camera fix and it crashed services in Carbon Rom. Had to flash carbon again. Please backup before flashing either cam fix. Once flashed carbon again I tried CM11 cam fix and selfie camera works now : ) with blue tint, but camera mx app fx blue tint workaround fixes it. keep up that good work

Upvote 0
Rom will install modules,drivers need it... at flash...
Hroark CM11 n KK 4.4.2 kernel only has a supor for ov5963... but the drivers used were from gs2 if im not mistaking..
for what he has share with me... implementing all the IMXs, OVs, Hi54?, MT9?, S5K3?, we would hav to fine all the information to get in to kernel.. to be able to hav drivers, run... be call the one need it... A LOT OF WORK AND MORE COMPLICATED THAT WE THINK... a good kernel writer or SCIENTIST.. can get it..... we hav suspect that its not only ov but many other ... depending in date of manufacturation

Upvote 0
I got 3 phones. All of them made in 5/2014. The camera in two of them work with Hroark's two kitkat roms (4.42 beta 4 and CM11), the other one doesn't. I'm assuming the one that doesn't work is the OV5963 module, but I really don't know how to find out for sure.

Anyway I found the Kitkat ROM (not CM11) to work really well so far. CM11 crashes a bit too much for regular use. I'm just a consumer of generous works of other people, so I really have no right to complain. However I do wish that there'll be more development for this phone, because it really does have a great set of hardware specs. The camera is amazing for this range, I think, not to mention LTE and NFC, and the robust battery.

Upvote 0
May you please finish this, it will mean alot to me and to alot of other people as well . This is indeed a great first step but one step doesn't mean your walking. If you don't want to finish it for any reason notify us and aleast help us get rid of the blue tint that's really all am asking for.

there is really nothing else I can do, it is not that I quit,
plus I have already spent way too much time on it, and do not have the time anymore

there was someone that said you can use MX camera, and get rid of the blue tint

Reactions: lilcoward
Upvote 0
yes of course it is possible

have LG release a Kit Kat based rom for our phone, and then it will be done

Can you please tell me the name of softwares to edit the kernel, like what you did to this kernel to make it better?
and what exactly you did with kernel that the back camera is working with KK. if it's possible with some pictures.
So for a person like me who's interested, i can edit this kernel and fix the issues. I know some java, vb, c++, python.
I really appreciate you if you would do this.

Upvote 0
Can you please tell me the name of softwares to edit the kernel, like what you did to this kernel to make it better?
and what exactly you did with kernel that the back camera is working with KK. if it's possible with some pictures.
So for a person like me who's interested, i can edit this kernel and fix the issues. I know some java, vb, c++, python.
I really appreciate you if you would do this.

the problem is not with the kernel, I correctly added the drivers to the kernel, this is the commit

https://github.com/hroark13/android_kernel_lge_f6x/commit/a51e138b9cd66ebef19df48193a406cf4b2b22c7

the problem is with the camera HAL (camera.msm8960.so) and the Camera libraries (liboemcamera.so)

Since the kernel is open source, I was able to edit it

the HAL and Libraries are closed source and we can not edit it

Last edited:
Reactions: SaidJan
Upvote 0
here is the gist of the current problem

In this fix I am using the camera binaries from v500 20d (G-TAB 8.3) but that tablet does not have a flash/torch so the torch does not work on our phone when we use them, I think it is in the HAL (camera.msm8960.so)

I cant use the camera.msm8960.so from d505 because it does not have a config for ov5693

I cant use the camera.msm8960.so from ms500 JB because it requires vector symbols, and when I enable that in CM, it causes constant crashing. and the camera does not work anyway,and does not work with KK port

I am wondering if we can somehow add a sysfs interface for the torch in the kernel

or maybe we can make a wrapper that adds the flash / torch interface

also some thing is causing the front camera to look blue

you could actually help with these issues because the issue happens on the phone whether it has the ov5693 or not

most people could just use the 505 20a binaries and it would be OK, I guess, and the people with ov5693 will have a patch zip to enable their camera, just with no torch, but that is a pretty lame way to do it

If anyone knows of another LGE phone that uses the OV5693 and IMX119 cameras, has Kit Kat and has a Qualcom MSM processor, please let me know

I do not want to hear about phones that do not meet the above specs, I am aware of the Asus Nexus phone (FLO) that has OV5693, I can not use its pre-built binaries, but may be able to use the HAL source code some how

so bottom line is

we need a pre-built LGE KK camera.msm8960.so (HAL) that supports flash/torch and OV5693 and IMX119

or

we need to make source code for a camera.msm8960.so (HAL) that supports flash/torch and OV5693 and IMX119 which is not so easy to do

or

we need to make a camera wrapper source code that will that will work with the v500 20d (G-PAD 8.3) camera.msm8960.so (HAL) that will add flash / torch function. This is hard to do as well. but easier than making the HAL source code

or

we need to add a sysfs interface for torch / flash in the kernel source code. This is probably possible but I do not know how to do it. This option would help with AOSP ROMS. but I am not sure if it would help with the KK stock based roms

yay

try reading this again

Upvote 0
hroark question.

What language did you write the kernel in? C++?

Can I take a look at the front cam source? A pixel that APPEARS to be a dead pixel means you may have mistyped the pointer,whatever language it's written in. This makes me think your pointer typo may only cause this pseudo dead pixel to be written to... Hence dropping red and green bytes and making the rest of the image blue... Check front cam source for part where cam writes to video ram. I think this might be the case...

Upvote 0
ihave reflashed it multiple times and same problem each time. i re-downloaded all the zip files to flash and still same problem. is there a way to replace the calling app to get one that works?
Are you sure that you are using the one for cm11? The one labeled kk is for all the kitkat roms based off the d505 euro f6

Reactions: Dastardly Muffin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones