1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Key Ring for Android

Last Updated:

1. DJInBoise

DJInBoise Active Member This Topic's Starter

Key Ring for Android is an application that helps organize those dreaded store discount cards. The application works in conjunction with your phones camera to work as a barcode reader to create a digital copy on your phone.
    [​IMG]

Just launch the application, touch Add Card and point your camera at the barcode. Wait for the application to read the information. If it doesn

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing , this is a rather interesting app concept :)

3. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

I've had this app for a while now...

I managed to scan my Tesco Clubcard...but that's the only card I was able to scan with it...

I have yet to try it out in a store though (probably to avoid my own embarrassment of it failing on me)...

I might give it a go when I go to get petrol for my car.. xD

4. dasudevil

dasudevil Well-Known Member

I found this app a few weeks ago. Scanned all my cards into the phone. Its nice not to carry all them cards now. Gotta love this little app.

Now all i need its more cards and ill be set. :p

5. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

I've had this on my phone for a while. Tried it out at Harris Teeter, Blockbuster and Best Buy and none of them could scan the barcode off my screen. Not sure if it's a glare issue or what.

6. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

A cashier at Best Buy told me that he had seen some people using this and people who had screen protectors on were having problems. I havent loaded it on my phone yet but I plan on trying it soon.

7. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the screen brightness has to be at it's lowest when trying to scan the barcode...

But don't quote me on that..

8. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I tried to scan my Kroger card at the Kroger Fuel station, but I couldn't get it to work. The problem may not have been with the app though. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the problem was the idiot holding the phone (me).

First I held the phone long ways, too far for the scanner to read the bar code easily. (DUH!) Then I just kind of swiped the phone under the bar code reader. (It was way too cold outside that day, and I was in a major hurry.)

I will try it next time I need to get some fuel for my car or my wife's car.

9. thedroidguy

thedroidguy Member

It may be the screen protector i use it on my droid with screen protector and it doesnt work however i loaded on my moment without screen protector at normal brightness and had no problem at CVS or Giant

10. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I went to a store (Giant Eagle) on Christmas Eve, and the cashier informed me that their store has a policy that they are not allowed to scan off of any handheld device (i.e. smart phones, PDAs, etc.). I made her punch in the number by hand. :p

11. thedroidguy

thedroidguy Member

Is that the same as The Giant here in Maryland? They had no problem doing it here. They're going to have to get used to it I think programs like Key Ring are gaining popularity and will soon replace the keytag all together

Kyle

12. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

My screen brightness is pretty damn low and I don't have a protector on it. No idea what the problem would be.

13. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I've tried at the local library and kroger, both the self checkout and gas pump and haven't been able to get any to scan yet.

14. Frantic Ferret

Frantic Ferret Well-Known Member

The tips say the screen has to be at near 90 degrees to the scanner. I also read tsomewhere that is didn't have much luck with the flatbed type scanners like the grocery stores use. On the demo video they're using a gun scanner.

15. powrful1

powrful1 Well-Known Member

I tried at Petsmart and Pricechopper and neither worked, I do have a screen protector, next time I will ask them it hit it with the gun.