1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Key Ring Reward Cards: Highly useful while not always perfect

Last Updated:

1. fangorious

fangorious Guest This Topic's Starter

This little gem of an app does what it promises in that it stores barcodes from all your retail loyalty/rewards cards so you don't have to carry them. With large built-in lists (there are separate lists for cards with barcodes and cards without) and a nice in-app tutorial video it's easy to get started.

When adding a new card you are asked if the card has a barcode. If not you must manually enter the number. For cards that do have a barcode the familiar Barcode Scanner is used, or you can manually enter the number with the keyboard. In both cases you can select the retailer from the list. If the retailer isn't in the list you may manually specify that too (you can also submit new retailers back to mobestream for inclusion in future updates). There are separate lists for cards with barcodes and cards without barcodes. Due to the size of these lists keeping them separate minimizes the time it takes to find a retailer in the list.

Once a card has been added the barcode/number can not be edited. You must delete the card and reenter. You can change the retailer and an optional label (more on the label later).

My major complaint about this app is that many barcodes contain digits which are not printed on the card. Keyring recognizes these extra digits in the barcode and happily displays them under the barcode image. The problem this leads to is that in the event the retailer's scanner can't read your phone screen they will start typing in the number displayed. In my experience these extra numbers not printed on the card must be disregarded when a retailer is manually entering the number. I submitted a bug report and the response follows:

This was on May 4, 2010 and recent updates haven't included this yet so be on the lookout. In the meantime, I have used the custom label field to specify the number as printed on the physical card when the check digits are displayed. This way I remember when to tell the retailer that the barcode number is 'wrong' and save some time.

Some recent reviews within the market have mentioned concerns over the permissions. I'll admit I don't understand why this app needs to check your location or phone state/identity, so use your best judgment installing it.

Advertisement
  2. Dark Reality

Dark Reality Well-Known Member

It's a cool idea, but the problem -- and it's a deal breaker -- is that supermarket barcode readers can't read a barcode off a cell phone's screen. It's not technically possible. Now, more advanced barcode readers might be able to do it. You will have to try it and see.

In Greenville, North Carolina, both Food Lion and Harris-Teeter's registers were completely unable to scan the barcode on my Android phone.

Asking the cashier to key in your number every time is not acceptable. That's why they put barcodes on the cards, so they can just scan them and have them entered inside of half a second.

3. fllinton

fllinton Member

works fine in the stores I use

4. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

It didn't work at my gym, haven't tried it at grocery stores, I just assumed it wouldn't work.

5. Sarates

Sarates New Member

I can't even get mine to display the barcodes, despite having done everything I read in all the various blogs....still, no barcodes. After I spent all that time scanning them.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Those with issues where your store cannot read the barcode, try HandyCards - it has 2 different ways of displaying the barcode, and I have a 99% success rate with it.

7. droidros

droidros Well-Known Member

I tried in two places so far - Hallmark and Blockbuster. Both places just typed in the codes - they didn't even bother trying to scan - just said it won't work. This is discouraging - even though it frees up some of my wallet/keyring space, I don't want to make the sales clerks to have to do extra work.

8. Mr Marcus

Mr Marcus Well-Known Member

I have used this in my grocery store and in CVS; each works every time I go. The ONLY exception I've had was ONE time I went to the self-checkout, and the scanner there wouldn't read it. That's ok by me, because I loathe self-checkout. Every time at a 'normal' checkout, it reads it dead on. Looove this app.