Keyboard and Haptic Feedback

1. deryn

deryn Well-Known Member

Anyway to turn off the haptic feedback when using the keyboard? It gets a bit annoying for my tastes

Advertisement
  2. semperofp

semperofp Member

Settings: Locale and text:Touch Input:Text input:Vibrate when typing

Hope this helps
    linesablur likes this.
  3. sr1982

sr1982 Well-Known Member

This is one of the first changes I made when I purchased my Hero. I am not a fan of the haptic feedback.
  4. deryn

deryn Well-Known Member

didnt know it was that easy... awesome, thanks!
  5. semperofp

semperofp Member

No problem. Yeah the easy ones always get me too.
  6. crish

crish Active Member

I switched this off but now want it back on.
    If i tick the setting nothing happens.
    Any ideas?

Cheers
  7. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

I turned this off with the sound because the keyboard was lagging really bad at times.
  8. aznsmith

aznsmith Well-Known Member

now if only it had bb storm 2's haptic, it would be a different story
  9. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Well-Known Member

Is that the one like a tazer gun?:p
  10. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Does turning off haptic feedback really improve using the keyboard?
  11. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Well-Known Member

Wow, I turned mine off and the typing is f-a-s-t. I used to type a few words then wait for the phone to catch up. Now it keeps up with me, I made it make the little clicky sounds too..kinda neat

Thanks all!
  12. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

Yes it does. Mine use to lag a lot but makes a big difference when turned off.
  13. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

You guys rock, the typing experience improved a lot after the adjustment. I still notice a slight lag tho. And even more so if I'm trying to listen to music and type in the browser. Looks like I'm still waiting on that update
  14. MrBazar

MrBazar Member

Holy crap that made a huge difference, it really helped with it lagging out and putting in symbols and whatnot. Never thought that would make such a difference.
  15. willpower101

willpower101 Member

i guess i'm one of the only ones who turning off haptic feedback didn't do a damn thing for speed. Either way, the keyboard lags.
  16. glorify

glorify Active Member

Did for me as well.
  17. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Massive difference with it off
  18. methoderik

methoderik Well-Known Member

Weird mine never has had lag, but I definitely prefer the feedback off. Just came back from a moment though so maybe that has something to do with it.
  19. thomasanderson

thomasanderson Well-Known Member

After the update the phone does this when dialing a number now. I see no way to turn this off. Is it not possible to disable this feature or am I missing something?
  20. thomasanderson

thomasanderson Well-Known Member

Is this a feature everyone just accepts, and doesn't mind, or is this something trivial I should figure out on my on?
  21. osli

osli Well-Known Member

I'm usinv bdttdrkey oarx withiu vibration and it is still. Ert laggy. Any suggestions on how to speed it up? Shoild I go bsck go the stock kdyboard?
  22. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

If that's an example of how poorly it works, then YES, definitely!:rolleyes:
  23. marcelo0292

marcelo0292 Well-Known Member

just turned mine off and....wow! it makes a huge difference for me.

thanks everyone!
  24. osli

osli Well-Known Member

Sorry, that was from my Hero. I tried turning off prediction and correction too to see if it would eliminate the lag. It didn't. I am usually one or more words ahead of what it actually puts on the screen, and I'm no speed demon on touch keyboards. The keyboards for the Hero (stock and otherwise) are just absolutely, 100%, mind-killingly atrocious. I'm close to returning the phone for this one reason alone.
  25. osli

osli Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Just picked up my wife's iPhone 3G to see if I just have recall bias or if there really is much difference in the keyboard response and accuracy. It's not even close. Not even on the same planet. In fact, if the iPhone's keyboard is a keyboard, I wouldn't even classify the Hero's as a keyboard... maybe something more like a reverse Polish boolean alphanumeric input brain teaser game. Something designed specifically to be challenging and put the user through a battery of psychological profile testing.

Sorry to be harsh. I just thought I disliked the Hero keyboard before, but after getting a cold water splash in the face of what a keyboard should be, I'm just utterly dismayed. How can one phone with similar screen size and resolution, similar hardware specs, and also running on a unix variant OS be lightyears ahead? I could type paragraphs without it missing a single keystroke as fast as I could move my fingers. On the Hero I can't make it past a couple of words, if that. Usually several mistakes per word, and I have to really slow down my fingers and be very precise and deliberate in where I place them just to get that level of accuracy. Is it the capacitive screen technology? OS? Keyboard application? All of them?

All I know is that this one thing alone would have me swapping back yesterday if all things were equal. But all things are not equal. As it stands, the Hero is free and so is the service. I'd have to purchase an iPhone and the service to swap back. Not an easy choice.

I love a lot about my Hero, and the rest is growing on me. I've seen real promise in the community's ability to respond to problems and offer solutions. Some that I had just a few days ago have been addressed to at least some degree. But right now, there just isn't a usable input method on the Hero. I browse the web, but refuse to post to forums or send emails because the input is so atrocious. I dread getting a text because I know it will be an ordeal just responding.

Please... Google, HTC, community... if you're listening, FIX THIS!@!