keyboard dock sub wooferTips

Last Updated:

1. Ramzes13

Ramzes13 Well-Known Member

I just got my replacement TFP from office depot and got my dock two days ago from Best Buy. I have read that the dock has some kind of active subwoofer in it (i used to install home theatres, so i know not to expect anything great).
    There is even an icon on the plastic wrap that shows a speaker. But there is nothing when i play audio or video other than what comes out of the side speaker. anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. bmacgyver

bmacgyver Well-Known Member

I asked this question in the forums a few weeks back, and although many indicated seeing this listed as a feature, no one can hear an audible difference between the TP docked and undocked.
  3. rz22g

rz22g Well-Known Member

Your right Ramzes13 there has been some mention of a subwoofer but really.. Dealing with audio you should already know that there is not enough room for the size woofer needed to even start producing audible frequencies that are associated with a SUBwoofer. Even with fancy channeling and porting in the dock it probably would not be distinguishable from the frequencies produced by the tablet speaker.
  4. wynand32

wynand32 Well-Known Member

As I heard from ASUS, there was GOING TO BE a subwoofer in the dock, and early spec sheets listed it as such. However, the plan was scrapped in pre-production for some reason, and so no, there isn't a subwoofer.

I'll have to look at my dock packaging when I get home. I hadn't noticed any speaker marking, but that sure would be fascinating to see. Kind of like a keepsake... :)
    172driver likes this.
  5. Ramzes13

Ramzes13 Well-Known Member

Yeah I def wasn't expecting anything earthshaking, there is a little icon on what would be the botton of of the plastic bag the dock came in. I'm goin to do a tear down this weekend I will let u know what I find...
  6. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member

Wow, are you saying you're really gonna do a 'for real' (gulp) tear down? The kind where you completely disassemble a perfectly good new device???
    Well, if that is in fact the case then I wish you all the best, and I hope everything goes very well.

DO PLEASE...let us know what you find ! ;)
  7. Lostsorrow

Lostsorrow Well-Known Member

He will do it. I know him personally and if something is bugging him enough to state something like that, he typically follows through. We both like to know how things work.
  8. wynand32

wynand32 Well-Known Member

I'd stress that a tear-down isn't necessary. There ISN'T a subwoofer in the dock. Was gonna be, but ASUS pulled it before production.