• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keyboard input issues even after restore

Whenever I try to type, either with the Swype or LG keyboard and in any app, the phone thinks input is coming from random locations on the keyboard. For example, holding down the backspace button will cause random characters to show on screen, hitting a letter could cause 5 other random keys to appear (they are not just the ones located close to the key on the keyboard).

This problem only started happening last night- this morning I did a restore to a very early point and the issue still persisted.

I just downloaded a multitouch testing app, and it appears that the issue is not limited to the keyboard. If I tap and hold anywhere on the screen, several additional inputs will start showing up and jumping around at random, though nearly always along the same horizontal axis as the actual touch.

Could this just be my screen protector messing it up, or is a sign of hardware failure?

EDIT:

Rooted vv5 with all the bloatware frozen

I've been having this problem on and off now for a while and it seems to have something to do with the battery itself and how it is charged. If I plug it into the computer's USB, the phone will act normal, but if charged via a cheap aftermarket charger it will start with the random typing. I had once read that it is a problem with the battery voltage/amperage being unsteady and causing spikes that screw with the touch screen capacitance. It usually takes a few days of completely discharging and slowly recharging via the USB port on my computer for it to go back to normal. The key is to completely discharge/recharge the battery a few times. I've just ordered some extra batteries (currently they are available on Amazon brand new for about $4 each since they are now obsolete). Also on an unrelated note, the screen protectors can now be found on amazon for $.01 each. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones