Keyboard Issues - Software/Hardware??

Last Updated:

1. sbursik

sbursik Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have read the other threads when I searched and I'm afraid I know the answer but I'll throw this out there just in case someone has another idea.

ISSUE: When I am using the on screen keyboard in the vertical position, the "q" and the up arrow key dont work. When I push them the button next to it depresses. So when I hit "q" the "w" key is depressed. When I push the up arrow the "z" key gets pushed. All of the other keys appear to work. This crept in the last few days.

I am currently running the Bugless Beast .4 with no theme at this point. I did a full wipe before the install. I also loaded the stock 2.1 and did a wipe before I loaded.

To troubleshoot I have done the following:

1. Wiped the phone
    2. Loaded a new ROM - Problem was there from the start
    3. Let the apps restore from the market and then did a shut down and a battery pull
    4. Keyboard worked perfectly for about 5 minutes then started acting up again
    5. Created a new Google account that would have NO saved settings or application in the market
    6. Wiped the phone again
    7. Loaded BB .4 and logged in with the new account I created
    8. Issue still exists
    9. When I have the phone in landscape mode the number key when pressed hits the Shift button above it and occasionally the screen locks up. I have to hit the power button to turn the screen off and then back on and swipe and then I can use the keyboard again.
    10. I tried to load Better Keyboard version 5.x and still had the same keys busted
    Any suggestions? Unfortunately I got this phone through Craigslist back in January so I have no warranty.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. sbursik

Thinking about trying Swype. Is there a version that works with the 2.2 roms? I tried the Droid X multi-touch keyboard and it FC every time you try and use it.

3. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

I believe Swype is on the market now... if not just go to the Swype website and download the latest "beta" it should work just fine on 2.2...

The reason the Droid X keyboard is FCing on you is because they haven't ported it over to 2.2 yet, currently it will only work on 2.1 ROMs....

4. sbursik

Doesn't appear to be in the market and the beta is closed. :(

5. ska.t73

Hmmmmm... I thought they opened up the beta... They must have closed it again... Head over to Droidforums, they should have a link there to some of the themed ones...

6. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I know that droid-life.com has them. I cant get there from work or I would post a link.

7. sbursik

Wasn't there a ROM that had some tools that would test the screen? I vaguely remember something like that?

I did go ahead and by the latest version of Better Keyboard and I can use the on screen keyboard in landscape mode but I have the same dead spots when the phone is vertical.

8. sbursik

They link to the closed beta too. No love there.

9. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

did you try swype ? thats my favorite on-screen keyboard.

10. sbursik

If I could find a working copy I would give it a try. Since the beta is closed thats not such an easy task. Its looking more and more like a hardware issue unfortunately. :(

11. sbursik

Well this pretty well show whats happening. I downloaded a paint program and drug the very edge of the screen and you can see that the program isn't painting the left edge. It paints further to the right. I don't suppose there is some tool to align the screen?

Attached Files:

12. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

go to droid-life.com (with the dash) and then do a search for swype. You will find it :)

with swype ... it predicts words for you so ... it may not matter as much if you miss that key

13. sbursik

Fascinating! Was reading in some of the forums about codes you can use to access information and ran through some. *#*#4636#*#* was one of them and after going through some of the menu items I went back the keyboard and everything is working for the moment at least. Very very interesting!More codes are here: Secret Android Phone Codes | Barunang.com

ska.t73 likes this.
  14. ska.t73

Nice find... and glad you got it working...

sbursik likes this.
  15. sbursik

Thanks ska.t73 for jumping in and suggesting things. I did a reboot and it appears to still be working fine so we'll see. Yea! I was bummed that I might have to shell out another $300+ bucks for a new Droid.

16. sbursik

Well that was short lived. After my 1st call came in it went back to having the issue and I have entered in a bunch of the codes and no love this time. Sheesh! :(

17. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I think learning and using swype is your best bet as it uses predictive text. I use it all the time and it is simply amazing !!! The faster and less acurate you try to be, the better it works.

18. adr3nalin3

adr3nalin3 Member

sbursik likes this.
  19. sbursik

Awesome! Thanks! My replacement Droid comes in the mail tomorrow but I wanted Swype for it anyway. Verizon agreed that this was a hardware issue and is replacing the phone.