keyboard list and typing lagGeneral

Last Updated:

1. livefreebee

livefreebee Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys I am not a fan of the stock keyboard. I have been trying the different options for keyboard apps. It seems I type too fast for them. I am using better keyboard right now and there is a huge lag between typing and the words coming up on the screen.

I've tried better keyboard, anysoftkeyboard, and shapewriter. I saw the thread about swype but havent tried it. Are there any other options?

Is the lag caused by me, my phone, or the keyboards?

Advertisement
  2. AustinxAtomic

AustinxAtomic Active Member

I tend to get lag while typing if I've got a message incoming..

3. livefreebee

Mine just lags all the time, even when ChompSMS is the only thing running. Think I should try Handcent or something?

I'm a total non-technie so any advice you guys have would help...that is, of course, if you have any! :)

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Do you have haptic feedback or sound turned on for keypresses? I think I read that turning those off helps with keyboard lag. I honestly do not notice any lag on mine, though perhaps I am too slow to notice...

5. livefreebee

I have the haptic feedback and sound turned off, but I still have vibrate on. It doesn't seem consistent either, there isn't ALWAYS a lag, but a lot of the time there is. Also, when I have it in landscrape I notice more lag, probably because I have 2 fingers doing more damage. I do type very fast on a regular keyboard, but typing on the Eris seems like slow motion for me!!

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

If it is not all the time, then it might have something to do with what is running in the background at the time you're typing.

7. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Having the vibrate (haptic feedback) on will contribute to lag with the keyboard. Mine will lag a little in portrait mode on the regular keyboard and a little more in landscape, but I don't really get any lag when using the compact qwerty keyboard. For some reason I type faster on it and I get less lag.

I have not tried turning it off, but the text prediction may also contribute to lag because it is busy trying to analyze everything you enter.

8. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Mine seems to lag the most when typing on webpages. It is not consistent though.

On a side note, I have haptic feedback on, and sometimes it stops working in the middle of typing a message. Drives me crazy! I like feeling the vibration when I press a key... it just feels too "empty" otherwise. But if it's a really long message, it may come back on toward the end. Otherwise I just have to wait a while. Also, the 4 buttons don't vibrate when this happens either, no matter how many times I hit "back" or anything. One thing that did seem to work was using the volume rockers to lower the ringer to vibrate, then back up. Then all was well. Weird, and quite annoying sometimes...

9. foccer

foccer Member

I noticed a typing lag too. So to test it I just sent a gmail, and a handcent message and the keyboard was as responsive and fast as I could type.

Then I posted this reply and I spelled out whole words before the screen caught up.