Keyboard re-map

Last Updated:

1. freddan007

freddan007 Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering if it would be possible to re-map the physical keyboard of an android phone. For example i would like to re-map the arrow buttons on the keyboard to special characters like

Advertisement
  2. freddan007

bump

3. freddan007

Did I post this in the wrong forum? If so can someone please move it?
    I couldn't find any other forum that it fits in.

4. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

I think you're fine as far as correct forum goes. This reason you're not getting many responses is because this is a little bizarre of a question. That being said, it's not a 'dumb' question by any means. I just don't know how many people have tried remapping their physical keyboard or if it's even possible.

Sorry, I have no definitive answer to your question. You would be better off using an alternate language on-screen keyboard.

5. freddan007

Thanks for the reply!

I searched around a little and found this:
    http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-su...94-possible-remap-keys-physical-keyboard.html
    That, however is for a specific phone and will probably not work for every phone.

Do you think I'm better off asking @ XDA-developers?

6. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

Seems like it's more up their alley. Are you looking to do it with a specific device?

7. freddan007

Yes, I am thinking about doing it with a motorola (DROID)milestone 2, but I don't own one at this time. If it's not possible I will probably not buy one, but if it is I will most likely buy one.

I thought it wouldn't make any difference if i asked about a specific phone or not but now I realize that it does.

8. supermanlegend

supermanlegend Well-Known Member

I know this is an old post I want to know how to do this too. I have a rooted Nook Color and I'm using a physical keyboard and it now feels awesome, but I was wondering if I could map certain functions to the keyboard like volume key controls volume etc or map a home button. Thankfully android has some keyboard function built in. Arrow keys work all over the device, esc is the back button, f1 is the menu button just would be nice to map even more functions.