Keyboard settings not applied to messengerSupport

Last Updated:

1. jhanley2525

jhanley2525 Member This Topic's Starter

Well im headed out to search the market for a new messaging program. I have found that the one that comes with the phone cannot use custom ringtones, nor does it have a dictionary setting with spell correct and all that. Worst of all, i tried changing the keyboard settings and they did not apply to messenger. For me that's unacceptable, i cant stand clicking when i type and the factory tones suck. Do any good sms/mms apps come to mind for you previous droid owners.

Advertisement
  2. jhanley2525

OK, so i was a little hasty, its the damn swype. I see that two keyboards are installed. does anyone know how to select the default? I dont use swype now, but i may in the future so i'd prefer not to remove it.

3. edgchacon

edgchacon Well-Known Member

Just go into an area where you can input text, an SMS message or email and Press and hold your finger in that area and it will pop a menu to choose Input method. Choose Android Keyboard and it will apply it everywhere. :)

4. jhanley2525

ok, so i figured it out, it has to be done from the browser settings, but you can chose either or. I like the android keyboard for it's predictive text, but im sure swipe has it's benefits...

5. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Well-Known Member

let us know if you find something for custom SMS/MMS ringtones.

I really need this. Being a geocacher I get SMS notification of new geocaches posted in my area, and if you want to be the first to find a new one you have to be quick.

On my last phone I could set a custom ringtone for the SMS and I would know right away from the ringtone if I need to drop everything and jump in the car.

6. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Well-Known Member

Update: I found an app for the custom ringtones and its called WhoIsIt.

The app is $1.99 in the android market and allows you to set custom ringtones or alerts not only for each contct, but you can also set seperat tones for mms,sms,emal,phone... within each contact. Also it has a setting to set a specific ring for unknown/unlisted calls.

7. jhanley2525

thats one way, the other is to swap out one of the current factory tones by renaming and swaping out the ogg file in the system/media/audio/notifiactions folder. I changed Kzurb_Sonar.ogg to the droid sound which also plays on my blue droid 2 boot animation. personaly i like not having to add any programs, especially with our extremely limited phone storage. I tried just putting it in there as Droid.ogg but it wasn;t recognized. I'm thinking theres gotta be a registry file that needs to be edited to recognize more tones. no luck finding it though.