1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Keyboard supporting full line highlighting as well as Google voice recognition?

1. Aidan Bell

Aidan Bell Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me to find a keyboard which supports both full line selection when highlighting and also uses Google voice recogniser? Let me explain:

I'm on a Galaxy Note. My preferred keyboard is "Swype" because it's the only keyboard I've ever been able to find on which, when highlighting/selecting text, it's possible to select full lines (up and down arrows) as well as character by character (left and right arrows).
    However, because Swype is the native keyboard on the Note, it defaults to Samsung's Vlingo voice recogniser and won't let me choose and use Google's.

Thus what I'm looking for is a an alternative keyboard which supports selecting text by line, not just character and also uses Google voice recogniser.

Can anyone help at all?
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

There's a lot of keyboards that has arrow keys. You usually just have to do a gesture to see them. Like Go Keyboard, Touchpal, Perfect Keyboard, Hacker's Keyboard, etc
  3. Aidan Bell

Indeed, but you can only highlight and select text with the left and right arows, character by character, not up and down, line by line. Swype is the only keybopard I can find which does that.
  4. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Well-Known Member

Are you talking about highlighting as in copy/paste sort of thing? If so, a long press on the text will bring up two cursors that can be moved to select any portion of text.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use SwiftKey as my default keyboard. As of version 3.0.1 it uses Google speech recognition.

[​IMG]

I don't know about any other keyboards since I haven't really used any others in quite some time.
  5. chanchan05

Somebody beat me to it. Yes, if the problem was highlighting (I thought it was the arrow buttons) why not just use the highlight handles?
  6. Aidan Bell

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of this function. But in fact those two handles actually really annoy me, I'd love to be able to get rid of them!! What I'm talking about is highlighting by pressing "select text" and then moving the left/right/up/down arrows to highlight the required text. Swype allows you to press the up and down arrows, thus selecting an entire line of text in one go. This is what no other keyboard seems to do, and is the function I'm looking for in an alternative keyboard.
    Either that, or a way of tweaking Swype so that pressing the microphone key opens Google voice recogniser and not Samsung Vlingo. The irony is that I love Swype and it does exactly what I want, except allow me to use Google voice.
  7. chanchan05

Try going to Samsung Vlingo in settings>applications>all>press "clear defaults". Not sure if this will work, but it may clear the connection between it and Swype, allowing you to set a default when you press the microphone icon on it.
  8. Aidan Bell

Thanks, but regretably is it doesn't appear under Applications. I've also looked to see if I could freeze it completely with Titanium Backup, but it's not listed there either.
  9. chanchan05

It should be there. I'm guessing its hiding under another name. How about trying to download another voice command app? That also clears defaults.
  10. Aidan Bell

I just installed "Voice Command", and yet it doesn't appear under settings/language and input/voice recogniser. So I installed "Speech To text". Same thing. I re-booted. Same thing. Voice recogniser only offers two options; Vlingo and Google. And even when Google is selected, Swype still opens up Vlingo. Grrrr!!!