keyboard?Support

Last Updated:

1. maddmatt02

maddmatt02 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have the hero, and its the phone the wife wants to get when her upgrade comes around (in jan though, something better will most likely be out then).

but coming from a rant, I miss a hardware keyboard. I know if I switch phones I want to stay with android unless webOS ends up where Id like it to be by that time. and I can give the hero to her and get something else.

anyways, the sprint employee who I get my stuff through said some of the initial evaluation users of the moment disliked the keyboard.

I will not be lost without sense UI, so thats no big deal. I dont do much with the camera on my phone, so doesnt matter if its a little worse.

my only concern is what you moment owners think of the keyboard. I like the idea about the dedicated number keys, because I disliked having to use function keys to type numbers on the rant. but having the space bar inbetween letters seems like it might take some getting used to.

Advertisement
  2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

3. stantheman

stantheman Member

It's weird but after you use the keyboard awhile, the space bar and the way they configured it does make some sense. You just have to learn to press either to the far left or right on the space key, not in the middle like all the other keys. Overall I think the design is a good tradeoff for the numbers not requiring a function key even with its quirks. My previous phone had a virtual keyboard and I got used to it but a physical key pad is so much better for me. There needs to be a lot progress made in virtual keyboards before I ever get a phone with out a physical keyboard again. I tried the Pre and the Hero before the Moment. After two weeks with it I'm still very happy and no complaints.

4. chixdigit

chixdigit Well-Known Member

MY likes of the physical keyboard:
    I too love the dedicated number keys
    I love the 4 directional arrow keys to the far right. Really helps you move the cursor anywhere you want so easy.

Dislikes:
    The backlight times out WAY too fast (in like 15 seconds with no typing), and to my knowledge there is no way to extend the backlight for that.
    The keyboard seems a little big, but then I am used to the keyboard on my much smaller Rumor.. I'm sure I would be griping that it is too small if it was smaller.. I'm sure that I'll get used to the size of the keyboard. It's not too huge.

Hope that helps.

5. KeithKris

KeithKris Well-Known Member

Keyboards are REALLY a personal taste kind of thing. I personally adapted to the keyboard on this phone very quickly. It works well for me. I'm sure you'll find people who love and hate this keyboard. Neither opinion is right or wrong, you'll have to try it out a bit and decide if it works for you. Be sure to give it at least a few minutes trying it out at the store, don't just let your initial impression prevent you from trying it awhile to see if you start to adjust.

6. baddubbin

baddubbin Well-Known Member

I have used Palm Pre, HTC Mogul, and AT&T Fuze(Touch pro). I find this to be the best hardware keyboard out of all of them after a week of using it, it feels very natural. The keys are separated very well and the number row is great.

It took a couple days to get used to the spacebar and the position of the 'a' seemed off at first too.

7. maddmatt02

maddmatt02 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

alright, when my upgrade comes around, Ill probably get the moment off ebay to keep a true upgrade discount available still, so when that 4G wimax android comes out, Ill be able to get it for a couple hundred or so instead of 600 off ebay. unless such a phone exists by the time I have an eligable upgrade which is very unlikely since my upgrade comes up in january.