keyboardSupport

Last Updated:

1. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned This Topic's Starter

So does anyone know if it will have just the swype keyboard or if it will have like the stock android keyboard or samsung keyboard where you can use without swype?

Advertisement
  2. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

According to the User Manual for the phone, there is only Swype and the standard Anddoid keyboarf

3. ckochinsky125

Alright i wasnt sure i just didnt want it to have only swype since i dont really like swype.

4. Bearly

Bearly Well-Known Member

Man, I but the APK for the stock Samsung keyboard (you mean the one that looks like the iPhone keyboard?) will be available because the Galaxy S and other variants seem to have it.

5. TheAlmightyDrew

Yea. I have the APK file ready to go for Thursday.

6. ckochinsky125

Would you be nice enough to make it available for everyone and post it on here?

7. TheAlmightyDrew

Well first I want to try it out to see if it works. If it does Ill post it first thing Friday. All i did was find the system dump for the Galaxy S

8. Droidable

Droidable Well-Known Member

Ill be putting the Droid X keyboard on mine. Thats the best keyboard ive ever used..

9. VZdubrep

VZdubrep Active Member

agreed.... how do we go about putting that keyboard on the phone?

10. Droidable

11. TheAlmightyDrew

I have tried to install the Samsung keypad onto my Droid X, and it didn't work. If it doesn't work an actual Samsung device, I am going to be pretty pissed.

12. ckochinsky125

What does the samsung keyboard look like or do? I have never used it before so i am curious

13. TheAlmightyDrew

YouTube - Samsung Captivate Keyboard Options

It's the keyboard he covers from 0:20 to 0:53. It is basically just a standard keyboard, but it is a very very good responsive one with great auto correct and suggestion capabilities. I used it while I was checking out the Captivate at an AT&T store and fell in love with it.

I am extremely disappointed that it is not in the Fascinate. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can simply just download the APK file and that will suffice.

14. ckochinsky125

That does look nice. Lets hope if its not on there that we can just download the apk and have it

15. Bearly

Bearly Well-Known Member

That looks identical to the Droid X multi-touch keyboard whose APK was released for the Incredible, except the Samsung version seems to be a different "skin." The auto correct and key response appear the same, hence why I believe it's the same keyboard and yes, I believe without a doubt that the APK would be released shortly after the phone becomes available.

There are some very determined and talented people out there that want exactly what you want. They'll make it happen :)

16. TheAlmightyDrew

Yea, we will see. I am going to download the Droid X's multi touch keyboard onto the Fascinate as well.

Also, what you just said makes me pretty sure that there will be someone that will quickly figure out exactly how to get the Google Search bar onto the phone and how to remove Bing Search.

17. appagom

appagom New Member

I am very interested. I actually have a galaxy S but it's the Korean version, not the i9000 but the SHW-M110S. It's very similar but has at least one hardware difference,a DMB TV receiver. It also doesn't come with the same software. The stock keyboard options include swype and a dual language standard keyboard. Unfortunately the latin (english), although very responsive, has no correction or prediction unless you use swype (glad it makes other's happy, but not for me).

I would love to get the U.S. variant on here, and even if it doesn't work on other devices, there's a chance it works on this one I guess.

There is an xda-developers thread with a dump of all the galaxy S apk's but I can't tell which if any of those are the keyboard apk. If someone could even point that out I could give it a shot. Thanks.

18. Droidable

TheAlmightyDrew, any luck with the Droid X keyboard. I tried and failed as well..

19. appagom

appagom New Member

ok I found it, something with T9 in the name that I missed. Sadly, even on a korean Galaxy S it didn't work. :( I didn't use adb, just grabbed it email to the phone and tried to run it.

20. TheAlmightyDrew

Nope. I made a thread over at XDA but no one has responded. I think it will take some time before people start figuring out things with this phone then we will start getting some answers.

I am going to try sideloading the APK file with Android Central's Sideload Wonder Machine. Unfortunately, I am on a Mac so I am going to have to wait until later today when I can get on my friend's Windows laptop. Hopefully, I won't get any errors. If that works, I will let all of you know.

If anyone has some free time and can do this before me, let us know.

21. avhokie

avhokie Well-Known Member

How do you select a different keyboard on the Fascinate? There is no "Input Method" option on mine?

Update: nevermind, forgot about the long press in entry field method.

22. Veez

Veez Well-Known Member

Does the droid x keyboard even work on the fascinate?

23. TheAlmightyDrew

It should. It works with pretty much all the other Android 2.1 phones. I don't know why it isn't working with the Fascinate. No one seems to have figured it out yet. Once I can get my hands on a PC (I am on a Mac), I am going to try and sideload the APK file and see if that works.

24. Droidable

Im on a PC. I sideloaded it and tried launching it and i got a message saying activity not found. If i long press in a text box it doesnt show up. When i try to remove it I get uninstall not successful

25. TheAlmightyDrew

I am not sure what is going on then. This is ridiculous.