• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keylogger/Security?

zwcev

Lurker
Jul 14, 2011
Within the last week I purchased my first smartphone, and obviously first droid.

I have plenty of friends with droids, and so I listen to what they suggest; however I don't want to be too trusting.

Basically I was recommended a keyboard that was on the market long ago, taken off, and now available via purchase only. I let a friend install the keyboard (prior to him telling me that it was not on the market) and after hearing I started wondering what trouble it could actually do.

My first thought was possible keylogger, but I really do not know the likeliness of keyloggers on droids. I obviously uninstalled the app, but I'm not so sure what the next step would be.

I'm hesitant to putting much personal information into my phone to begin with, so I'm not incredibly concerned about losing anything personal. I just dislike the thought that something could still be there.

So to sum it up...should have done this sooner...

Is it possible that I got a keylogger/still have one? Are there any suggested protections - antivirus software, if you will? And I guess last question, are there any recommended swype apps/other keyboard apps? I happened to really like what he got me, but it was a little buggy and the thought of something bad happening to my brand new phone was a little troubling.

Basically I was recommended a keyboard that was on the market long ago, taken off, and now available via purchase only. I let a friend install the keyboard (prior to him telling me that it was not on the market) and after hearing I started wondering what trouble it could actually do.

My first thought was possible keylogger, but I really do not know the likeliness of keyloggers on droids.
During install, you'll be notified of the required permissions for the app. Given the nature of keyboard apps, any of them could potentially be a keylogger.

What you need to look at is whether or not the app requests any communications capabilities. Even if a keyboard app did keylog it does the malicious developer no good if the data cannot be transmitted. I mean, is the hacker going to drop by and ask to borrow the device to pull your logged keystrokes?

Search around for the thread that details the various permissions. You can't just rely on the name of a permission to understand.

Upvote 0
The app was called ShapeWriter maybe?

I completely trust my friend who installed it. I am positive he had no malicious intent.

My question was a bit more generic. I simply wanted to know the possibility of a keylogger on the phone and the chances of it staying (if that was one) after I uninstalled the app.

I went through the running services and didn't see anything suspicious, and I figure I was fine to begin with.

Actually, I just realized I could go through my history and find the link. I'm not sure the rules of posting links, so I'll just say it was on a "vivin" website.

And again, does anyone know the program/any recommendations for something similar to it (preferably free). It was nice while I had it, I'd just rather have it via market and would rather not have to pay.

Thanks to those who have posted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones