• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Keystroke logger found in...HTC phones tracking your every move"

CaptainObvious

Jul 9, 2010
I'm not too worried about my privacy seeing as how i don't do anything questionable on my phone, but i think people do have a right to be upset about this considering nobody was ever told this was even going on in the first place. What do you HTC-ers think?

"A security researcher has posted a video detailing hidden software installed on smart phones that logs numerous details about users' activities.

In a 17-minute video posted Monday on YouTube, Trevor Eckhart shows how the software

I don't download apps that are stated as having access to my personal information or phone information when the app has no business (to the best of my knowledge) accessing those features. This is really bad news and it wouldn't surprise me if Uncle Sam, under the guise of the Patriot Act, has something to do with this. Then again maybe I'm paranoid (which doesn't mean they're NOT after me!) and it's just collecting data to be sold to marketeering companies. If it's a process that runs, I would think there must be SOME way to stop that process.

I just used Astro's Task Killer to view all the running processes and there are a few HTC processes running. I found an htc.reportagent process, dhd_watchdog, some others with suspicious names but no "carrier iq." It could be a process that only wakes up at certain intervals.

Upvote 0
We're now hearing reports from verizon that they don't use carrier iq on ANY of their phones. I'm still on the fence about the level at which i should give a damn. I remember awhile back when people were freaking out because htc's stock browser takes screenshots to use for the thumbnails in the browser. THAT was overblown paranoia. But logging every single keystroke we all make under the guise of monitoring our usage so they can field questions for customer service better? I don't buy it. It just doesn't make sense that they'd need THAT much information.

Unless they lept without thinking and genuinely didn't realize this would be a privacy concern, i'm leaning towards this being a real invasion of privacy.

Verizon denies Carrier IQ is on any of its phones

Upvote 0
personally i'm not bothered by this. I know however that some people don't agree with it and that is cool.

Me neither, but the argument has always been made that the best way to make people give up their rights willingly, you have to slowly whittle away, make it a gradual change. If there's nothing sinister about Carrier IQ then why isn't its existence openly acknowledged by the carrier? Verizon's already backing away from it based on CO's article above.

What'll have to happen is some mega-star or some politician would have to be out-ed in order for there to be a backlash of this software's existence.

Maybe we can tell Boner Boehner (I always get his name wrong) and Pelosi that Verizon has detailed information about their insider trading practices that was exposed on 60 minutes a few weeks ago and plans on using it as leverage to influence a future vote of theirs to keep AT&T and T-Mobile from merging.....
^^Tinfoil/quasi-political rant (not really political mods, I just name names!)

We're now hearing reports from verizon that they don't use carrier iq on ANY of their phones. I'm still on the fence about the level at which i should give a damn. I remember awhile back when people were freaking out because htc's stock browser takes screenshots to use for the thumbnails in the browser. THAT was overblown paranoia. But logging every single keystroke we all make under the guise of monitoring our usage so they can field questions for customer service better? I don't buy it. It just doesn't make sense that they'd need THAT much information.

Unless they lept without thinking and genuinely didn't realize this would be a privacy concern, i'm leaning towards this being a real invasion of privacy.

I will say this, I don't see anything come of it although, now I'm starting to wonder if all that junkmail I'm getting from WhoppeeCushion.com is due to all the toilet humor I regularly (hah get it REGULARly....Sigh I need help) text and facebook....

Upvote 0

Razr and Droid 3 does not appear to have the app, based on viewing apps and tasks with Titanium.

Upvote 0
Razr and Droid 3 does not appear to have the app, based on viewing apps and tasks with Titanium.

I doubt Titanium is going to be able to sniff it out. How to check if your Android phone uses CarrierIQ — Mobile Technology News

Oh and wow someone sure did remove that post fast....Hard to believe a guide figured it was worth posting only to have a mod delete it.

One thing that was mentioned, if you're rooted then the Carrier IQ is more than likely deleted from the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones