Kickstand and portrait orientation

Last Updated:

1. vblick

vblick Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looking at videos/pics of the kickstand, it almost looks like the kickstand supports the phone when in portrait orientation. Can anyone confirm this? Is landscape the only way the kickstand works with the phone?

Advertisement
  2. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Nope, not unless you jam something in between the kickstand and the phone itself. The kickstand collapses back in on itself, if you attempt to use it to prop the phone up in portrait fashion.

3. The Wok

The Wok Member

It kind of bothers me that you can't landscape the home screen. I wanted to use the kickstand to prop it up and replace my alarm clock, haha.

4. DougFunny

DougFunny Well-Known Member

Can anyone say custom ROM?

5. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

there is a desk clock app in 2.1 which works in landscape...it would be perfect for what u want to do

The Wok likes this.
  6. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

You obviously don't abuse alarm clocks like I do... I'd break the kickstand off smashing the phone down!

7. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member

From what I can tell handling the display Evo, the kickstand almost, "almost" could support the phone in portrait. It's definitely strong enough. The problem is the bump-out for the hdmi port and the usb. (It wobbles on the point and falls over.) If the back was completely flat I don't see a reason why it couldn't stand in portrait.

Might be a minor over-sight but now I'm just nit-picking about an otherwise well engineered phone.

8. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

When in landscape, the weight of the phone "holds" the kickstand out in its open position. When in portrait, the weight of the phone "forces" the kickstand into its retracted position again. There is nothing in the kickstand mechanism that "locks" it in the open position. Hence why I stated that you'd have to jam something in between for it to remain standing.

9. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Then...then.... how does it stay closed? A locking mechanism? Magnets? How do magnets work, yo?

10. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Okay, I should clarify. Whatever "locks" it into both positions isn't strong enough to offset the weight of the phone when in portrait mode.

And I have no clue what mechanism is used - I don't think it's magnetic.

11. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

Magnets.

Also:

[​IMG]

12. ruskiyab

ruskiyab New Member

A custom rom will not fix the fact that Sense does not support orientation changes. You could howeever use a different launcher such as the helix or adw which do support it.

13. The Wok

The Wok Member

Awesome, I'll check it out.

Haha.

I'm hoping we'll see some sort of docking solution - perhaps I'll just get the HDMI dock - does anyone know if the screen goes blank once you plug it in (like it goes with the HDMI cable?)

14. evoman2be913

evoman2be913 Well-Known Member

Is the kickstand built into the software meaning can an update make it automatically show the home screen once the kickstand is opened or no?

15. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

Kickstand is hardware only, as far as anybody can tell.

evoman2be913 likes this.