• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help kies/nps - updating firmware

JohnW

May 17, 2010
Hi,

Question re: Kies/NPS and firmware from a noob.

My Galaxy Portal on 3 Mobile is as follows:

2.1-update1
i570EXXJC1
2.6.29 root@SES611 #2
ECLAIR.XXJCD

At some stage when I have more time, I will root the phone (as per Beerkan's guide). (How long does it take btw?)

Before this however, will the Kies (or NPS) software allow me to upgrade the phone 'officially' to a higher/better/faster (baseband?) version ?

I've been browsing these forums since I got the phone in June and following most of Beerkan's posts, and I get the impression that there are upgrades I can do to my without having to root. Is this correct?

Apologies if I've got the wrong of the stick ....

Thanks

John

I did a re-install last night & in total took me about half an hour.

I did the following

Install JH6 Via Odin
root phone via Odin
Install Samdroid Kitchen via recovery
Install Samdroid Turbo FE8 via recovery

If you want to get the most out of your phone, I think your better off updating & rooting via Beerkans guide.

Reactions: JohnW
Upvote 0
OK, so before I take the plunge, I should add that i've written single line of code ever (even BASIC wasnt basic enough for me!).

I can see that the ODIN step is probably the trickiest. Never used it before. Can you explain what it does and how much I need to know before using it?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Odin the the program that transfers the new firmware to your phone.

The most important thing to do in Odin, is ensure you check the relevant boxes before upgrading

Within Odin Left hand side window
[x] One Package
[x] Reboot (ticked)
[x] Protect OPS (ticked)
[x] Reset Time (ticked) 300
[ ] Debug (not ticked)

Refer to both the video and the guide instrutions and you should have po problem.

Reactions: JohnW
Upvote 0
Cheers Beerkan.

I've taken the plunge this afternoon. Backed everything up to SD, then copied to USB stick and PC, updated baseband to JD1 and then rooted as per your guide.

But a bit confused as to next steps.

I cooked up a Samdroid Kitchen rom and applied - no problem.

But then... the Samdroid Turbo/Frozen Eclair stage .... I seem to have applied Samdroid Turbo V10. But how do I get Frozen Eclair?

This post/guide isnt so clear:

-={ SAMDROID TURBO }=-

Do I install Samdroid Turbo Kernel V10 .... oh hang on.... DOH!

I see.... Frozen Eclair V9 Beta 1 gives me Samdroid Turbo V10....

Cool.

Apart from re-installing everything (to SD card!!! - went for 386Mb partition in end) anything else I need to do?

I assume RECOVERY and ODIN are simply 2 methods of installing stuff, yes?

Cheers

john

Upvote 0
OK, so here's what I did FWIW:

Starting with:
- 2.1-update1
- i570EXXJC1
- 2.6.29 root@SES611 #2
- ECLAIR.XXJCD

- backed up all Contacts, Apps and SMSs (and copied all to PC)
- rooted as per guide
- then decided to upgrade baseband to JD1 (from JC1) so re-followed guide but from very beginning, i.e. upgraded firmware then rooted
- cooked and installed a Samdroid Kitchen Mod (ZIP file) via Recovery
- installed Frozen Eclair v9 beta 1 (ZIP file) via Recovery
- was then going to install Samdroid Turbo but accidently discovered that Turbo V10 came with Frozen Eclair v9
- reinstalled Apps, restored SMSs (perfect!), synced back Contacts

Q. Your instruction re: SD partitioning was a little confusing:
------------
"Choose what size you want your Apps Partition (256Mb to 1Gb)
Make 1024M ext2 on SD"
------------
The apps partition is ext2, right? If this is the case, then why do you say to "make 1024M on ext2" after giving the option to actually "choose what size you want..."
or have I got that wrong somehow???

Q. And does your instruction assume a 1 or 2Gb SD card?

Mine is a standard Samung 1 Gb card. According to AppBrain I have about 65-70 apps (about 65 Mb worth - not much)

With that in mind, I went for the 384Mb ext2 partition size, thinking that that would be ample.

Now, according to Samdroid Tools under Apps2SD:
SD card = 300107 KB free (sounds about right ... 384Mb-70 Mb ish = 300
Internal Storage = 71192 Kb free - dont understand this!!!!

Q. How come I only have 70Mb left on internal storage? Does SD FAT32 partition have to done separately to ext2 when in Recovery??

Q. Apps2SD.... Using Estrings Explorer, /system/sd is empty, but apps are in /system/app/. Does this mean they are on the phone or on the SD card ? (i know that looks like a daft question...)

Q. typically, where is gaming and/or general app data held? (high scores etc)

Q. is it possible to get Adobe Flash v10.1 working?

Q. you are right about the slow boot times, having not cleared the caches immediately after Samdroid Kitchen Mod installation. Is it OK to clear the caches now? (what is the davlik cache btw?)

Q. I notice that system still a bit 'laggy' when running Live Wallpapers (whcih are vrye nice of course), so anything else I need to speed things up ?

Q. where can I get original Android 2.1 wallpapers from ?

Many thanks again Beerkan,

John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones