General Kies - What's the point of it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by virgopunk, Aug 4, 2010.

1. virgopunk

virgopunk Member

Jul 29, 2010
    What exactly does Kies offer? It's got to be one of the clunkiest pieces of phoen software ever. It takes an age to boot on my machine and has a very annoying UI.Is it just the firmware update that's of benefit? Can I uninstall it without any major worries?

Advertisement

2. Geryatrix

Geryatrix Well-Known Member

May 4, 2010
    As we are hoping for a Froyo 2.2 update in the next few weeks, and Kies is the only way to upgrade, I would consider keeping it unless your computer is very short od storage.

3. moylie63

moylie63 Member

Jul 24, 2010
    I thought nokia PC suite was a pain, this is absolute rubish. Hopefully the upgrade will be better. One would hope.:mad:

4. virgopunk

virgopunk Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Like I need a new photo editor and media player...groan. It also had update my .Net which took an absolute age to download. Roll on 'over the air updates'.

5. anfearg

anfearg Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Ireland
    Really is useless but it did provide the drivers ;-)

6. psychocandy

psychocandy Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Crap. CRAP. CRAP !!!

7. johnnewhouse

johnnewhouse Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    just to confirm, do we think that using kies is the only way to upgrade the phone to the latest firmware? (my phone is not tied to a mobile provider)

if so then that means i am going to have to close linux and boot into windows (very long time when not using it every day) just to get the 2.2 update.

boo :(